sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    โš ๏ธ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Caterpillar

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Gallery
    28 Posts 18 Posters 3.8k Views 18 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • tademaT
      tadema
      last edited by

      Looking at various software options to Sketchup, came across a tutorial on modeling a Caterpillar 797 In 3D Studio Max. Video was 5.5 hrs and probably edited/cropped quite a bit? Admiration to people who use 3D Max but it's not for me! I watched it twice and could see no advantage over Sketchup, infact it was quite the opposite.
      So my shot at it, total time approx 9hrs. Please don't turn this into a software war, it's only my opinion but it's Sketchup all the way for me.
      I Could do with one of these to transport the wife about ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
      John

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • daleD
        dale
        last edited by

        John, I think we all know you have great modelling skills, but If we didn't, we certainly do now.
        And as usual the final composition is stellar.
        Great work!

        Just monkeying around....like Monsanto

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • D
          d12dozr
          last edited by

          Nice, John...very nice. ๐Ÿ‘

          If I was picky(which I'm not), I'd say there's only one thing left...if you look closely behind the back tire, way off in the distance, there's one of these missing: CAT D12. I think it would balance the composition just a teeny bit better. ๐Ÿ’š

          3D Printing with SketchUp Book
          http://goo.gl/f7ooYh

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • pbacotP
            pbacot
            last edited by

            Great job Tadema! You watched the 5.5 hr. video twice? What dedication. I hope it was well made. And the 9.5 hour includes the renderings? (not talking about cook time) ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
            Beautiful picture, despite the ravages we have dealt the earth. I could see adding a cottage in there about to come down the cliff.

            (D12 ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ )

            MacOSX MojaveSketchUp Pro v19 Twilight v2 Thea v3 PowerCADD

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • tademaT
              tadema
              last edited by

              Thanks Dale, not sure about skill it's all down to a great piece of software that's easy and fast to use. Everyone's model starts off as a single line.
              Thanks Marcus, I've added a loading shovel in PS.
              Thanks Peter, I watched it twice, yes sad I know ๐Ÿ˜›
              John

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • pilouP
                pilou
                last edited by

                Very impressive vehicle! ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

                Frenchy Pilou
                Is beautiful that please without concept!
                My Little site :)

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • Bob JamesB
                  Bob James
                  last edited by

                  I have never figured out how to make "randomly grungy" surfaces, which, of course make your rendered model so realistic.
                  Would it it possible for you to post the grungy yellow material you used so I could see how it's done? ๐Ÿ˜

                  i7-4930K 3.4Ghz, 2x GTX780 6GB, 32GB DDR3-1600 ECC, OCZ Vertex 4 500GB, WD Black 3TB, 32TB NAS, 4x 27" Monitors, SpaceMouse Pro, X-keys XK-60

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • tademaT
                    tadema
                    last edited by

                    Thanks Pilou.
                    Bob, I used PS rust and grunge brushes which is easier than overlaying a rust material, it preserves your back ground colour. A quick search on google http://designm.ag/resources/rust-brushes-for-photoshop/ one of hundreds. If I have time today I'll make a quick tut.
                    take care
                    John

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • L
                      leminilab
                      last edited by

                      Hi,

                      This is (again) a very impressive work.
                      Although they all deserve it, I can't comment all your works but this one's theme being different from the others, your talent is even more obvious. ๐Ÿ‘

                      I just can't wait to read a texturing tutorial! ๐ŸŽ‰

                      • "Live every day as if it were your last and then some day you'll be right."
                      • "ThomThom rules!!!"
                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • leedeeteeL
                        leedeetee
                        last edited by

                        Brilliant John! It ROCKS!

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • TIGT
                          TIG Moderator
                          last edited by

                          Brilliant - as ever...
                          From castles to cottages... now to heavy plant...
                          I feel another tutorial publication on its way ??

                          My son works of the NE architects for Caterpillar's plant at Peterlee - just along the road from you.
                          He was modeling the new entrance buildings etc and needed a big truck like that for a view [he ended up photoshopping it in] - you've made one that's just one size too big for what they want to have on display!

                          TIG

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • allanxA
                            allanx
                            last edited by

                            Excellent modeling John and the rendering is superb...my youngest is in to trucks right now and this is he's favorite... ๐Ÿ˜„

                            allanx

                            Portfolio

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • tademaT
                              tadema
                              last edited by

                              Thank you for the comments ๐Ÿ˜ณ
                              Nicolas, sorry I didn't have time yesterday and I'm away this morning for a week, but as soon as I return!
                              TIG, small world. Last year whilst waiting for the wife (Dewhursts ๐Ÿ˜’ ) I sat watching the very building under construction. Had I known would have modeled the truck for him FOC of course.
                              thanks again
                              John

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • L
                                leminilab
                                last edited by

                                @tadema said:

                                Thank you for the comments ๐Ÿ˜ณ
                                Nicolas, sorry I didn't have time yesterday and I'm away this morning for a week, but as soon as I return!

                                No rush there John.
                                Your final image already makes my day! โ˜€

                                Again, brilliant work. Hats off (There's no hats off smiley but here's a paint bucket for you: )

                                • "Live every day as if it were your last and then some day you'll be right."
                                • "ThomThom rules!!!"
                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • marked001M
                                  marked001
                                  last edited by

                                  john...showing some major versatility here! awesome stuff.

                                  http://www.revision21vis.com

                                  instagram: revi21on

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • Bryan KB
                                    Bryan K
                                    last edited by

                                    Wow. ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

                                    See my portfolio at https://delphiscousin.blogspot.com/

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • L
                                      loveart45
                                      last edited by

                                      Love it ๐Ÿ˜‰

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • U
                                        unda
                                        last edited by

                                        ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ look great

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • cheddaC
                                          chedda
                                          last edited by

                                          I used to drive a smaller version of this, it also had deployable railway bogeys ! As usual Tadema well done mate, this is giving me flashbacks to my Tonka days.

                                          Kraken Wrangler https://www.flickr.com/photos/132441293@N03/

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • tademaT
                                            tadema
                                            last edited by

                                            Thanks for the comments.
                                            A little walk-through..
                                            John


                                            Adding rust-dirt.pdf

                                            1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better ๐Ÿ’—

                                            Register Login
                                            • 1
                                            • 2
                                            • 1 / 2
                                            • First post
                                              Last post
                                            Buy SketchPlus
                                            Buy SUbD
                                            Buy WrapR
                                            Buy eBook
                                            Buy Modelur
                                            Buy Vertex Tools
                                            Buy SketchCuisine
                                            Buy FormFonts

                                            Advertisement