sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Second attempt Maxwell Render + Sketchup

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Gallery
    18 Posts 6 Posters 2.2k Views 6 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • S
      sexydevil01
      last edited by

      Thanks... For the night scene I have used a HDRI for the environment lighting, maybe I need to try a different image or tweak the settings. I am still learning to use Maxwell 😞 I guess it is all a process of trial and error. I saw your 'sunset' post, pretty amazing πŸ‘

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • C
        cadmunkey
        last edited by

        These look good, will be interested to see any new images if you take Davids advice and try some HDRIs. I remember trying Maxwell out a long, long time ago but it was far too slow back then for it to be a viable option for me. Whats it like these days, much improved I hope!

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • S
          sexydevil01
          last edited by

          Hi, Thank you. I am going to try Davids advice, will post images when ready. I am new to Maxwell but I am happy with the speeds, the above renders took about 2 hours per scene.

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • Bryan KB
            Bryan K
            last edited by

            Looking good!

            See my portfolio at https://delphiscousin.blogspot.com/

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • S
              sexydevil01
              last edited by

              Thank you.

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • S
                sexydevil01
                last edited by

                David, thanks to your advise, I think I am getting there. Any C&C welcome.


                Sunset scene


                My take on Barcelone Test render


                Test DOF & lighting

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • D
                  davidh
                  last edited by

                  I think these are definitely more successful but if you have photoshop,you should increase the Curves in order to brighten up the images.Often I place a colour band layer in photoshop on my original render,blended using "soft light".
                  This has the effect of really pulling out the colours.This colour band can be also be used for indoor shots,particularly where you may have blank,white walls.It can make a big difference.

                  I have attached the colour band jpeg that I usually use,along with your barcelona image post processed.
                  The steps I used in post processing were:
                  1.Increased curves
                  2.Added the colour banding jpg,layer blended "softlight" 50%
                  3.Merged layers
                  4.Duplicated the image and used the pull down IMAGE/ADJUST/AUTO COLOUR).Then layer blended "Normal" 40%.

                  By the way,the compostion of the barcelona image works really,really well.
                  I hope this helps


                  Barcelone night_s copy.jpg


                  colour band.jpg

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • S
                    sexydevil01
                    last edited by

                    WOW πŸ‘, Thanks a million. This really helps & it does make a huge difference to the render. Thanks once again for sharing your knowledge.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • S
                      Stevo
                      last edited by

                      Hi all. I've just joined the forum and have been checking out all the great work. I also was using Maxwell. A great compliment to Sketchup. Sadly the work-flow at the office doesnt play well with Maxwell as a result the long time it takes and the learning curve. I wish I had more time to devote to it. This was a project I did a few years ago. It was acually a development in Florida but these images suggest the Middle East or Africa theme. Thanks to whoever shared the Land Rover on the 3D warehouse. TheBrewery was another project in boston.


                      SktchMax1.jpg

                      OS/Hardware:
                      Win7 64
                      Sager NP7280
                      i7 980x
                      SLI 460M
                      12gb

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • S
                        sexydevil01
                        last edited by

                        Hi Stevo,

                        Welcome to the forum.

                        I like the render you posted, it is unfortunate that you cannot pursue with Maxwell. I personally am very pleased with Maxwell.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • brodieB
                          brodie
                          last edited by

                          Looks good. I've been using SU+Maxwell for a few years now and it's always good to see someone else catching the bug.

                          One tip I'd give you for the water would be to use a bump map so it's not quite so perfectly smooth. That'll distort those reflections a bit and add a lot of realism.

                          -Brodie

                          steelblue http://www.steelbluellc.com

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • S
                            Stevo
                            last edited by

                            Hi All thanks for the comments. I think I'll try one more time to get the office to purchase the latest release. Are you guys using the new version? Hows the plugin work? Brodie, what water are you referring to? I like the idea a lot... I was thinking the image could use sand storm and wind, any ideas on how I could do that in Photoshop?

                            OS/Hardware:
                            Win7 64
                            Sager NP7280
                            i7 980x
                            SLI 460M
                            12gb

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • S
                              Stevo
                              last edited by

                              Heres the night image


                              SktchMax2.jpg

                              OS/Hardware:
                              Win7 64
                              Sager NP7280
                              i7 980x
                              SLI 460M
                              12gb

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • S
                                Stevo
                                last edited by

                                Heres one of a brewery project I did for fun.


                                Brewery.jpg

                                OS/Hardware:
                                Win7 64
                                Sager NP7280
                                i7 980x
                                SLI 460M
                                12gb

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • brodieB
                                  brodie
                                  last edited by

                                  @stevo said:

                                  Hi All thanks for the comments. I think I'll try one more time to get the office to purchase the latest release. Are you guys using the new version? Hows the plugin work? Brodie, what water are you referring to? I like the idea a lot... I was thinking the image could use sand storm and wind, any ideas on how I could do that in Photoshop?

                                  I was referring to the OP's pool water, particularly the 2nd rendering in his first post.

                                  -Brodie

                                  steelblue http://www.steelbluellc.com

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • S
                                    Stevo
                                    last edited by

                                    All this stuff got me hot for more Maxwell. Seems I have good timing; the boss is in a good mood, can you say upgrade, yeah!

                                    OS/Hardware:
                                    Win7 64
                                    Sager NP7280
                                    i7 980x
                                    SLI 460M
                                    12gb

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0

                                    Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                    Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                    With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                                    Register Login
                                    • 1 / 1
                                    • First post
                                      Last post
                                    Buy SketchPlus
                                    Buy SUbD
                                    Buy WrapR
                                    Buy eBook
                                    Buy Modelur
                                    Buy Vertex Tools
                                    Buy SketchCuisine
                                    Buy FormFonts

                                    Advertisement