sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Model this: Bold wooden table

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Gallery
    20 Posts 13 Posters 2.2k Views 13 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • charly2008C
      charly2008
      last edited by

      Hi,
      used drawHelix and FollowMeandKeep and Classic Bezier Curve.

      Charly


      Spiralen.jpg

      He who makes no mistakes, makes nothing

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • oganocaliO
        oganocali
        last edited by

        Well, I guess I would remove the snake teeth before I put this coffee table in my salon. I would not forget a coffee table that bit me 😄 . The model does need some extra work but I can not justify that. It is a vray render with native sketchup materials I only added a wee bit of reflection.
        enjoy
        table1.jpg

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • J
          jdadesignstudio
          last edited by

          Hi guys,

          I know this threads getting a little old, but thought Id give it a shot-havent played with the table top or textures yet, but I tried modeling the legs of the first table in your post Solo.

          Looks like ill have to do 1 pic per post (sorry, im a long time reader on here, but first time posting).

          Jon


          bold table 01.jpg

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • J
            jdadesignstudio
            last edited by

            raw su pics


            bold table su 01.jpg


            bold table su 02.jpg


            bold table su 03.jpg

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • J
              jdadesignstudio
              last edited by

              bump...is anyone still interested in this thread?

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • soloS
                solo
                last edited by

                Sorry, it must have slipped back a few pages while I was not watching.

                That is a very cool model, what did you use to make it? (plugins)

                http://www.solos-art.com

                If you see a toilet in your dreams do not use it.

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • J
                  jdadesignstudio
                  last edited by

                  here is the hidden geometry, it also shows the original geometry of the tapered spirals for the legs.


                  bold table su 05.jpg


                  bold table su 06.jpg

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • J
                    jdadesignstudio
                    last edited by

                    No problem, thanks for the feedback! I used draw curves (I believe that is the name of it, Ive seen it called draw curves and draw metal), taper maker, bezier spline, and really those were the only plugins, besides follow me. The model is on my computer at my office-tomorrow Ill upload an image with the hidden geometry.

                    -Jon

                    EDIT: I also used the round corners plugin

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • Rich O BrienR
                      Rich O Brien Moderator
                      last edited by

                      That's impressive. I'd removed Curvemaker but after seeing this I must give it a spin

                      Download the free D'oh Book for SketchUp 📖

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • J
                        jdadesignstudio
                        last edited by

                        Thanks Rich, Id used it before for 2D spirals to then base objects off of (for example, I work for a university whose mascot is a ram, so I have done some models with spiral shaped ram horn themes), but for this model I had to use the 3D helix spiral, which is a bit tricky. What I wound up doing is making a very small helix (radius of 2" or less usually) to get the curve geometry how I wanted it, then I scaled the helix up to the proper size for the table, then finally added mass to it (by way of taper maker or follow me).

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • boofredlayB
                          boofredlay
                          last edited by

                          Wow cool. I missed those posts as well. Impressive modeling.

                          http://www.coroflot.com/boofredlay

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • S
                            Speaker
                            last edited by

                            A very great plugin that helps making spirals is Sketchy FFD. And in combination with Fredo scale, you can get really good results. Here is a video of me modeling a bottle, where I had a good use of this tehnique.

                            http://www.youtube.com/user/latvietis1234

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • J
                              jdadesignstudio
                              last edited by

                              Thanks Speaker, on one of my earlier trials I did use FFD, not quite how you are-I was using it to deform a tapered spiral after it was made (like squishing just the bottom 3rd, etc.).

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0

                              Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                              Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                              With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                              Register Login
                              • 1 / 1
                              • First post
                                Last post
                              Buy SketchPlus
                              Buy SUbD
                              Buy WrapR
                              Buy eBook
                              Buy Modelur
                              Buy Vertex Tools
                              Buy SketchCuisine
                              Buy FormFonts

                              Advertisement