sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    The "Duh!" thread (aka the Doh! thread)

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved SketchUp Discussions
    sketchup
    696 Posts 135 Posters 579.7k Views 135 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • GaieusG
      Gaieus
      last edited by

      @ecuadorian said:

      Kind of when I learned that the word "people" is plural and not singular... just before graduating from College πŸ˜• .

      🀣
      That's good (me as a foreign speaker of English fully understanding thet).

      But all in all,I know what you mean. There's still a lot - if not other than little tricks of workflow at least - of this program!

      (And I love this topic - maybe it should be made sticky in the Newbie forum!)

      Gai...

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • thomthomT
        thomthom
        last edited by

        I just had a vision of the planet where you hear "Duh!" shouted across the globe, with little speech bubbles to accompany, as people read this thread...

        Thomas Thomassen β€” SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
        List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • GaieusG
          Gaieus
          last edited by

          And they also keep banging their heads to the walls... πŸ˜’

          Gai...

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • david_hD
            david_h
            last edited by

            did you know that if you expand the component window with the little + sign and drag your custom component to the window below it saves it in the component directory for future use????? D'UH!

            If I make it look easy...It is probably easy

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • X
              xrok1
              last edited by

              @unknownuser said:

              Ive had so many Duh Moments I don't know where to start . . .or rather D'oh!
              I have still so many yet to experience I am sure. Maybe you can help me add to myD'uh Collection

              I have never gotten into the OUtliner but the one thing I wish I knew how to do with it. . .if it can be done is in working with Nexted blocks and components in "Hide rest of Model" mode that you could have the group in which a component is nested visible but still have the rest of the model invisible? comprenez-vous? Or maybe there is a Ruby for this??? ***please oh please oh please!***Also. . .. we need a little smilie that says "D'UH! and D'OH!"

              it would probably be better for your outer group to be a component instead of a group, with the other groups inside. that way it would work the way you want with all the internal groups visible when editing them through this outer component. πŸ˜‰

              β€œThere are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.”

              http://www.Twilightrender.com try it!

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • GaieusG
                Gaieus
                last edited by

                @daniel said:

                ...My second moment was embarrassing. I gave a short seminar to the local community design center on using sketchup, and I was explaining how SU will not cast shadows below the point of origin (default ground plane), and open a model to illustrate it, only to discover that SU had apparently fixed that (with veersion 7?).

                Thanks Daniel, you saved me from another embarrassing "Duh"! πŸ˜„

                Gai...

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • DanielD
                  Daniel
                  last edited by

                  I can remember two "duh" moments for myself. I had always known to make multiple copies in a row, to just type in the number of copies wanted followed by an "x". But it wasn't until reading the SU for Dummies book last year that you could make multiple copies evenly spaced in a given length by typing in the number followed by a slash. I felt stupid for not figuring that out.

                  My second moment was embarrassing. I gave a short seminar to the local community design center on using sketchup, and I was explaining how SU will not cast shadows below the point of origin (default ground plane), and open a model to illustrate it, only to discover that SU had apparently fixed that (with version 7?).

                  My avatar is an anachronism.

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • broomstickB
                    broomstick
                    last edited by

                    @thomthom said:

                    A more recent Duh I had:

                    Being able to select only a few edges from a face and offset them instead of the whole face.

                    I had this one today!!

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • DanielD
                      Daniel
                      last edited by

                      Your welcome, Gaieus. I don't remember anybody mentioning it. Perhaps we've all become accustomed to modeling above the origin. Maybe I was distracted by Remus' bike porn thread (for the record, it is NOT what the title implies, and I was VERY disappointed).

                      My avatar is an anachronism.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • P
                        pmiller
                        last edited by

                        Probably the best SU duh!:

                        404 Not Found

                        favicon

                        (www.sketchucation.com)

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • S
                          sintra
                          last edited by

                          @unknownuser said:

                          i still don't know how to type in more than one dimension when using the tape measure tool

                          So can anybody put me out of my missery please πŸ˜†

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • X
                            xrok1
                            last edited by

                            how many dimensions do you expect from a tape measure? lets see there's length... ... and ... ... 😳

                            β€œThere are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.”

                            http://www.Twilightrender.com try it!

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • P
                              paulside
                              last edited by

                              Come on, Own up, how many of us have tried to orbit a jpg ! 🀣

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • X
                                xrok1
                                last edited by

                                specially if its a jpg of a 3D model 🀣

                                β€œThere are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.”

                                http://www.Twilightrender.com try it!

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • S
                                  sintra
                                  last edited by

                                  hmmm sorry thought you could type in several figures to set out many dimensions πŸ˜•

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • X
                                    xrok1
                                    last edited by

                                    the duh moment that turned out to just be a der! moment. 🀣

                                    but seriously you can copy your construction lines with (ctrl) copy, and then say *10 or whatever so you get 10 equally spaced. if that helps?

                                    β€œThere are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.”

                                    http://www.Twilightrender.com try it!

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • david_hD
                                      david_h
                                      last edited by

                                      @paulside said:

                                      Come on, Own up, how many of us have tried to orbit a jpg ! 🀣

                                      Not being able to orbit in JPGS only illustrates their limitions. If we were an advanced society at all we would be able to this. πŸ’š

                                      If I make it look easy...It is probably easy

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • thomthomT
                                        thomthom
                                        last edited by

                                        @paulside said:

                                        Come on, Own up, how many of us have tried to orbit a jpg ! 🀣

                                        Ever tried to undo a wrong stroke with the pen..? 😳

                                        Thomas Thomassen β€” SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
                                        List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • david_hD
                                          david_h
                                          last edited by

                                          @xrok1 said:

                                          @unknownuser said:

                                          Ive had so many Duh Moments I don't know where to start . . .or rather D'oh!
                                          I have still so many yet to experience I am sure. Maybe you can help me add to myD'uh Collection

                                          I have never gotten into the OUtliner but the one thing I wish I knew how to do with it. . .if it can be done is in working with Nexted blocks and components in "Hide rest of Model" mode that you could have the group in which a component is nested visible but still have the rest of the model invisible? comprenez-vous? Or maybe there is a Ruby for this??? ***please oh please oh please!***Also. . .. we need a little smilie that says "D'UH! and D'OH!"

                                          it would probably be better for your outer group to be a component instead of a group, with the other groups inside. that way it would work the way you want with all the internal groups visible when editing them through this outer component. πŸ˜‰

                                          Thanks for the feedback, but I dont think that helps me, and I realize I probablyI didn't explain myself very well. I would want to able to keep the geometry of the component visible while I am working on an internal nested block/component but the main model is kept hidden? Better?

                                          If I make it look easy...It is probably easy

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • jeff hammondJ
                                            jeff hammond
                                            last edited by

                                            @paulside said:

                                            Come on, Own up, how many of us have tried to orbit a jpg ! 🀣

                                            i try to orbit everything on my computer after a long SU session.. web pages etc...

                                            it's like jumping on a trampoline for a while.. once you get back on solid ground, it takes a few minutes to readjust..

                                            dotdotdot

                                            1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                                            Register Login
                                            • 1
                                            • 2
                                            • 30
                                            • 31
                                            • 32
                                            • 33
                                            • 34
                                            • 35
                                            • 32 / 35
                                            • First post
                                              Last post
                                            Buy SketchPlus
                                            Buy SUbD
                                            Buy WrapR
                                            Buy eBook
                                            Buy Modelur
                                            Buy Vertex Tools
                                            Buy SketchCuisine
                                            Buy FormFonts

                                            Advertisement