sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Can Anyone Help Me Export My Model?

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Newbie Forum
    sketchup
    17 Posts 4 Posters 1.3k Views 4 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • M
      MTPAPA121
      last edited by

      @sepo said:

      You have a lot of repetitive elements there which would lend themselves to be component. It would also make your file smaller. Also you need to purge that file . It has a lot of materials which are not being used.

      K i dont understand what u mean about the repetitive things. And I purged it and that did not help at all.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • S
        sepo
        last edited by

        You have the elements of truss which easily could be component. I quickly scanned your modell and there are more or less 2 different types. I did not measure them but they look same to me.
        correction there are 3 repetitive elements.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • GaieusG
          Gaieus
          last edited by

          Well, the whole thing consists of repetitive elements, nothing else. If you had made a component of ech kind first and only copied instances of that component, I also believe the size of your model could be about 1/10 of the current one ❗


          Nevertheless I started to export it to kmz but it simply stops (quits) the export process at about 13 % (both SU 6 and 7). This is really weird.

          Sorry,Michael, but I can't help with the export and don't know (yet) what the problem with your file can be (I purged and fixed problems but no help). I think it's worth a bug report.

          Gai...

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • S
            sepo
            last edited by

            Yeah mine stopped at 17%.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • GaieusG
              Gaieus
              last edited by

              Michael,

              I could at least upload it to the Warehouse;
              http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=8f93f345b42788d6c66264baa88f9ed6

              Now what I could do is to share it with you via the Warehouse share feature and when you are already a collaborator (or what), pass the "ownership" to you. Then you can fill in ("out" in the US) all the description field needed for the WH staff to find your challenge entry (and of course, change whatever I wrote).

              You don't need it as a Google Earth model but as a SketchUp model, do you? (As the export failed).


              Edit: as you were the first to make the model, as I can see,you are a contributor already. So just answer above and I can do the rest via the share function.

              Gai...

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • M
                MTPAPA121
                last edited by

                @gaieus said:

                Michael,

                I could at least upload it to the Warehouse;
                http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=8f93f345b42788d6c66264baa88f9ed6

                Now what I could do is to share it with you via the Warehouse share feature and when you are already a collaborator (or what), pass the "ownership" to you. Then you can fill in ("out" in the US) all the description field needed for the WH staff to find your challenge entry (and of course, change whatever I wrote).

                You don't need it as a Google Earth model but as a SketchUp model, do you? (As the export failed).


                Edit: as you were the first to make the model, as I can see,you are a contributor already. So just answer above and I can do the rest via the share function.

                I really dont know how you got it uploaded. It seems that it would still have to export it to a KMZ when sharing. And when i try to upload through the site it says it needs to be a KMZ thats why im trying to export it. But it you could send it to me that would be great. Im not quite sure how to do it so just lemme know what info you need to share it. Thanks alot

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • GaieusG
                  Gaieus
                  last edited by

                  You can only upload kmz file from the Warehouse website but from SketchUp itself (with the "Share model" button) you can upload skp files directly.

                  I'll contact you via the 3D Warehouse.


                  Edit: can you send me (in a Private Message) the email address you are using for your 3D WareHouse account?

                  Gai...

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • M
                    MTPAPA121
                    last edited by

                    @gaieus said:

                    You can only upload kmz file from the Warehouse website but from SketchUp itself (with the "Share model" button) you can upload skp files directly.

                    I'll contact you via the 3D Warehouse.


                    Edit: can you send me (in a Private Message) the email address you are using for your 3D WareHouse account?

                    Ya but thats where my sketchup freezes also when i click the share button and the export to KMZ.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • GaieusG
                      Gaieus
                      last edited by

                      Unless there is georeferencing in the model, the upload process won't create the kmz file.

                      Gai...

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • jeff hammondJ
                        jeff hammond
                        last edited by

                        i'm not sure where in the model you are using the material that looks like a cursive 'a' (named: 'Metal_Corrogated_Brown#1') but delete that material and it will export to .kmz without crashing..

                        dotdotdot

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • M
                          MTPAPA121
                          last edited by

                          @unknownuser said:

                          i'm not sure where in the model you are using the material that looks like a cursive 'a' (named: 'Metal_Corrogated_Brown#1') but delete that material and it will export to .kmz without crashing..

                          how do i delete the material?

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • M
                            MTPAPA121
                            last edited by

                            @unknownuser said:

                            i'm not sure where in the model you are using the material that looks like a cursive 'a' (named: 'Metal_Corrogated_Brown#1') but delete that material and it will export to .kmz without crashing..

                            Ok nvm i did it and it exported. How did you find out that was the problem?

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • jeff hammondJ
                              jeff hammond
                              last edited by

                              @mtpapa121 said:

                              Ok nvm i did it and it exported. How did you find out that was the problem?

                              tried to export it as is and it crashed..
                              reopened it and did a color by layer (window->layer->arrow button->color by layer [on a mac]) in order to eliminate the materials from the equation... it exported fine
                              reopened it again and looked at the materials you were using.. saw the 'a' and thought it looked weird so i deleted it..

                              dotdotdot

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • M
                                MTPAPA121
                                last edited by

                                @unknownuser said:

                                @mtpapa121 said:

                                Ok nvm i did it and it exported. How did you find out that was the problem?

                                tried to export it as is and it crashed..
                                reopened it and did a color by layer (window->layer->arrow button->color by layer [on a mac]) in order to eliminate the materials from the equation... it exported fine
                                reopened it again and looked at the materials you were using.. saw the 'a' and thought it looked weird so i deleted it..

                                ya i think something went wrong when i set that material for the renderer, i would render it every so often.

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • GaieusG
                                  Gaieus
                                  last edited by

                                  Good Job, Jeff! πŸ‘

                                  In this case the texture would've been probably the last thing I'd've checked.

                                  Gai...

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0

                                  Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                  Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                  With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                                  Register Login
                                  • 1 / 1
                                  • First post
                                    Last post
                                  Buy SketchPlus
                                  Buy SUbD
                                  Buy WrapR
                                  Buy eBook
                                  Buy Modelur
                                  Buy Vertex Tools
                                  Buy SketchCuisine
                                  Buy FormFonts

                                  Advertisement