sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Rounded boxes problem

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Newbie Forum
    sketchup
    7 Posts 4 Posters 862 Views 4 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • F
      Fatolbaldguy
      last edited by

      Very very new at this and I am sure you have probably been beating this dead horse for awhile but I have read every tutorial I can find! I make a rounded box in four parts rounding three sides duplicating and mirror imaging the pieces. I then put them together and intersect them to make one big box with rounded sides. Seems to work OK, but when I start trying to remove the un-needed lines on the box faces sometimes (Not always) the whole face disappears. I can't seem to find any rhyme or reason to it. What am I doing wrong. Is there a better way to create the rounded box?

      Due to financial constraints the light at the end of the tunnel will be extinguished until further notice.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • H
        Hazza
        last edited by

        @fatolbaldguy said:

        Is there a better way to create the rounded box?

        Yes, make a normal hard edge box then use the "Round edges" plugin that you can download from this thread.

        See all of my SketchUp models here.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • GaieusG
          Gaieus
          last edited by

          I have another guessing shot...

          There seems to be a bug in SU (haven't tried with version 7 yet) that when you join two parts that have a fairly big number of faces each, you cannot delete the seam between them without unwantedly deleting the connecting faces as well despite the are definitely coplanar. Is that you are talking about?
          If so, make a group of the half first then copy > mirror it then align the two copies of the group, explode and try to delete the seam now.

          This trick or workaround seems to fix this bug but no-one knows why the bug is there and why this workaround fixes it.

          If this is not the problem, sorry for talking too much.

          Gai...

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • F
            Fatolbaldguy
            last edited by

            Exactly! I thought I was missing a step or just screwing up in general! Thanks for the work around. Now I need a couple of wife/kid/dog free hours I can rub together to really make things happen (I hope) Thanks again!

            Due to financial constraints the light at the end of the tunnel will be extinguished until further notice.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • F
              Fatolbaldguy
              last edited by

              OK long as I'm showing my ignorance anyway.
              I can't get the plugin to load. Anyone have a tutorial for the criminally computer challenged on loading these things?

              Due to financial constraints the light at the end of the tunnel will be extinguished until further notice.

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • R
                remus
                last edited by

                1)Download the plugin to an easily accessible location, like your desktop.

                2)Open your plugins folder (my computer->c->program files->google->sketchup->plugins)

                3)drag the .rb file from your desktop in to the plugins folder.

                4)restart SU and hey presto! You should have the plugin in one of the menus (tools, plugins, right click menu etc.)

                http://remusrendering.wordpress.com/

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • F
                  Fatolbaldguy
                  last edited by

                  Thank You. That did it. Big time saver! Now to learn to use it to best advantage.

                  Due to financial constraints the light at the end of the tunnel will be extinguished until further notice.

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0

                  Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                  Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                  With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                  Register Login
                  • 1 / 1
                  • First post
                    Last post
                  Buy SketchPlus
                  Buy SUbD
                  Buy WrapR
                  Buy eBook
                  Buy Modelur
                  Buy Vertex Tools
                  Buy SketchCuisine
                  Buy FormFonts

                  Advertisement