sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    A Welcome Message to New SketchUcation Members

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Newbie Forum
    sketchup
    1.4k Posts 667 Posters 1.2m Views 667 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • R
      RabidCicada
      last edited by

      Heyo...whats the lag time in posting? I posted int he developers forum about a networking sockets workaround and my post either vanished into thin air or it's waiting approval by a mod...or it was deleted. Is this board moderated?

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • R
        remus
        last edited by

        The first couple of post are approved my a mod, then your let loose on the board 😄

        http://remusrendering.wordpress.com/

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • X
          xpoferens
          last edited by

          Glad to have found this forum.

          I anticipate using SU far into the future for a project which my wife and I are working on. I look to be creating a city several times over to represent how it evolves through the years.

          If there's anything I want, it is to figure out how to get other members of my family to be as enthusiastic about SU as I am! I know I will need as much help as I can get and I want them to be inspired to use SU as much as I want to.

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • GaieusG
            Gaieus
            last edited by

            Hi xpoferens and welcome to SCF!

            I have similar ambitions (with my city). Have you checked this example out yet? (Download the Google Earth kmz file linked from the site). In GE, at the top left, there is the TimeLine slider...

            404 Error

            favicon

            (www.barnabu.co.uk)

            Gai...

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • L
              LanceMcKnight
              last edited by

              Hi, my name is Lance, and I joined so I can learn advance modeling method and how to use SU. I am also a digital artist at deviantArt, using Paint.NET. So, I will be looking forward to learning how to use SU.

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • mitcorbM
                mitcorb
                last edited by

                Welcome, Lance:
                Be prepared to have your way of seeing the world changed forever. 😄
                Because you will want to model everything around you.
                If you happen to be handy with pencil and paper, 3d modeling will influence the way you draw, and most definitely the way you think.

                I take the slow, deliberate approach in my aimless wandering.

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • S
                  simrose
                  last edited by

                  Hi all,

                  first of all my big hearty thanks to sketchucation for making such a community. its such a blessing n a boon for alll sketchup learners .. i have been of late reffering to this site quiet a lot and got introduced to this awesome aid for imagination called sketch up, day by day i make it a point to learn atleast few things new in it!!

                  smtime back i had downloaded a 3d model of a violin and was tryin my hand to remake it. kinda was tricky for me as i m just a beginner. m trying to crack it little by little. i got myself stuck making the spiral part as seen in the image i ll attach alongwith. it wud be a grt help if smone cud lemme knw how to make a spiral top that way.

                  thanks in advance,
                  simrose


                  spiral

                  %(#FF00FF)[Regards,

                  Simrose]

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • GaieusG
                    Gaieus
                    last edited by

                    Well, if I am not mistaken, that violin was made by this person. As far as I know him, he must have made it simply "hand stitching" (especially that it was in version 5 with lot less plugins than nowadays).

                    Gai...

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • S
                      simrose
                      last edited by

                      Thank you so much for the swift reply, but pardon me for asking a silly question , may be cos i m new to it-----what is "hand-stiching" is it a plugin or manually draging and joining vertices and edges?? ❓

                      Thanks
                      simrose

                      %(#FF00FF)[Regards,

                      Simrose]

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • GaieusG
                        Gaieus
                        last edited by

                        When you draw the lines one-by-one and not generate it with some plugin or otherwise.

                        Gai...

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • Z
                          zach
                          last edited by

                          Hi, I started Martin's "Edges to Rubies" tutorial prior to last summer. It seems like an excellent tutorial, but I stopped using it (and SketchUp) for the past 6 months due to other time commitments. I've waited so long to restart, that I think that I'll need to start over again to get my bearings. One initial directive that I was unable to resolve the first time that I started Martin's tutorial (and I'd like to get it right this time) is "How to Create a Working Directory". Martin suggests naming it C:\carrige_house -and that seems fine, but I'm not sure how I create this (file?). I have windows vista. I've tried Google, but that doesn't seem to bring up what I'm looking for. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Zach

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • S
                            simrose
                            last edited by

                            ah that way!!! now i got it! lemme try that out!!! thanks Gaieus!!

                            Simrose

                            %(#FF00FF)[Regards,

                            Simrose]

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • H
                              Hepf
                              last edited by

                              Hi, I've had a peek at Solo's site, and it's fantastic. The ship though is a roman ship, not viking ...

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • A
                                Avi Sacks
                                last edited by

                                Hello,

                                I could use your help!!!!!!! I am working on a model of a building that I have painted with various renderings surrounded by various buildings on the site that are in grey only. I would like to know if I can somehow show the main building without display edges and the background buildings with display edges????? I greatly appreciate your help

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • GaieusG
                                  Gaieus
                                  last edited by

                                  Best would be to group them separately. Then edit the group with the colour building (if there are further subgroups/components, you have to do this one by one), switch to wireframe face style (View menu > Face style OR from the Styles toolbar if you activate it from the View menu > Toolbars).

                                  Now as only your edges are displayed, select all (Ctrl+A or with the select tool using a bounding box, NOT triple clicking as it would select the hidden faces as well), right click on any edge in the selection and "Hide".

                                  Unfortunately this is the only way to do it (as you cannot have two, different styles in one scene) and if you have many subgroups/components, it can take a while.

                                  You could also put those edges on a layer and turn its visibility on/off as you like but that is risky as any time you modify the geometry, it will merge with other geometry on other layers etc.

                                  Gai...

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • H
                                    Hepf
                                    last edited by

                                    Well, I am definitely a newbie. I have opened a thread on "Build Rome", and have been exchanging notes with Gaieus, who has been enormously helpful and patient with me. But I suppose it's good manners to introduce myself. I am italian, almost 70 years old. I like elephants and have a collection of them.
                                    James quote: ‎"The physician can bury his mistakes, but the architect can only advise his clients to plant vines" Frank Lloyd Wright
                                    hit me badly, and gave me an occasion.
                                    You see, I have a degree in architecture, but never worked in that area, my activities are in the area of regional planning and GIS (and a quirky instance in history of Paraguay, I am an expert in that, and this year I'll be giving a round of conferences, for the 200th anniversary of Paraguay's independence).
                                    My professor, in Venice, was Carlo Scarpa, a great architect and admirer (maybe more than admirer, an adorator) of FLW. Well, he convinced me that I was not up to the profession, by citing what I now see was his variation of that quote: "if a butcher cuts his beef clumsily, it won't ruin the taste, and it will disappear after eaten, but an architect's work remains for years for everybody to see ...".
                                    He convinced me, and I never worked as an architect. Now it's too late, but I think I was wrong in following that advice. First thing, Scarpa was dead drunk when he yelled at me (he had just arrived from Toronto, he was terribly scared of flying, and solved the problem by getting drunk), and I have seen the work of several of my colleagues who have been working as architects for all this time, and I think I could do better ...
                                    Well, thanks for all the very useful hints I find in the site, and see you around ...

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • GaieusG
                                      Gaieus
                                      last edited by

                                      Hi Marco and welcome (again) on the forums!
                                      😄

                                      Gai...

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • D
                                        dropoyin
                                        last edited by

                                        Hi,

                                        I am Kurdz, and i'm new 😄 here, i'm amazed of what can sketchup do, so i will try my best to learn more here... stuffs like 3D modeling, hoping i can make my own model, hehehe thanks.

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • C
                                          copin
                                          last edited by

                                          Hi everyone. I'm copin, a newbie of sketchup but have been making some Ruby scripts for a couple of months. I'm very impressed such a large amount of know-hows, plugins and so on.
                                          I'm looking for themes on Ruby development environment, debugging methods combined with some IDEs and SKU.
                                          Anyway, I'm very happy to be here. Thank you.

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • GaieusG
                                            Gaieus
                                            last edited by

                                            Hi Copin and welcome!

                                            You will probably find answers to a lot of questions down in the developers forum!

                                            Gai...

                                            1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                            Register Login
                                            • 1
                                            • 2
                                            • 28
                                            • 29
                                            • 30
                                            • 31
                                            • 32
                                            • 72
                                            • 73
                                            • 30 / 73
                                            • First post
                                              Last post
                                            Buy SketchPlus
                                            Buy SUbD
                                            Buy WrapR
                                            Buy eBook
                                            Buy Modelur
                                            Buy Vertex Tools
                                            Buy SketchCuisine
                                            Buy FormFonts

                                            Advertisement