sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    A Japanese Garden Roofed Entry Gate Design

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Gallery
    11 Posts 6 Posters 2.7k Views 6 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • Joe WoodJ
      Joe Wood
      last edited by Joe Wood

      A Japanese Roofed Entry Gate with a 5’ walk thru. This is my own unique ‘Azumaya‘ roof design, my take of the Japanese Irimoya, or Dutch Hip roof. I sell these gate plans and an Aussie with a Japanese Garden Retreat down there requested I design her a single 5’ wide gate instead of my usual double gates.I like the single gate design and I think these are pretty good images straight from Sup, what do you think? You don't like my crummy free cyclorama background?

      how about shadows? I have them set at 70 / 70.

      Notice I cropped them square for Instagram 🙂

      Japanese_ Entry_Gate.png

      Japanese_Gate.png

      Joe Wood
      woodsshop.com/

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • ntxdaveN
        ntxdave
        last edited by

        Looks good Joe. 👍

        Now you need to animate it and let her walk through the gate. 😎

        Press F1...thank me later

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • Joe WoodJ
          Joe Wood
          last edited by

          Yeah I like the gate design, made up some nice Plans for it too 🙂

          It's like this one https://woodsshop.com//Japanese/Japanese-Gates/Gate-2/Gate2.htm

          5' Gate 1.png

          Plans.png

          Joe Wood
          woodsshop.com/

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • cheddaC
            chedda
            last edited by

            Great scale and proportions. Super details.

            Kraken Wrangler https://www.flickr.com/photos/132441293@N03/

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • Mike AmosM
              Mike Amos
              last edited by

              Nice, very elegant.

              Absentia mortis praesentiam vitae probat, vita autem est argumentum constantiae.

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • M
                mrossk
                last edited by

                Really nice. I also like the feel of the gate "in the middle of nowhere" that doesn't open on to or from anything in particular. Very existential, reminds me of "Waiting for Godot" or something similar 😉

                https://www.mkaplanfinefurniture.com/

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • Joe WoodJ
                  Joe Wood
                  last edited by

                  I had to google that "waiting for godot' but how in heavens name does that relate to my images? I'm very curious.

                  Joe Wood
                  woodsshop.com/

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • Joe WoodJ
                    Joe Wood
                    last edited by

                    So what would be a nice background for this type of an image? I don't want to take the time to put it in to a garden setting and that would distract from the structure, and the regular SUp Sky and ground is too stark. What would you use?

                    Joe Wood
                    woodsshop.com/

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • pbacotP
                      pbacot
                      last edited by

                      just put a fence next to it. If you want background you can use a curved tree line from Sketchucation store or just a better backdrop sky placed in the "watermark" . Foreground could easily be some paving or a couple different surfaces with a couple face me or 3d plants to the side---if you need that.

                      I could not find the tree lines in the shop so I am pointing you to the original article. Maybe you could find it from there? https://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=58139

                      Simplest might be paving pattern on all visible ground, fence, and a simple NPR watermark sky.

                      And the point is the horizon or edge of pavement is hidden by the fence and gate. If you want the gate open, obscure the background with a bush (favorite architectural trick--hide it with a plant)!

                      MacOSX MojaveSketchUp Pro v19 Twilight v2 Thea v3 PowerCADD

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • pbacotP
                        pbacot
                        last edited by

                        @ntxdave said:

                        Looks good Joe. 👍

                        Now you need to animate it and let her walk through the gate. 😎

                        Leave it a gate to nowhere, but when she walks through she is transformed into traditional garb. That will sell a gate or two!

                        MacOSX MojaveSketchUp Pro v19 Twilight v2 Thea v3 PowerCADD

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • M
                          mrossk
                          last edited by

                          I was kidding about the "Waiting for Godot" reference. It's an "existentialist" play about absurdity and meaning and the human condition. A gate, a barrier, from nowhere to nowhere... guess not too many absurdists here- ah, never mind, carry on 😄

                          https://www.mkaplanfinefurniture.com/

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0

                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                          Register Login
                          • 1 / 1
                          • First post
                            Last post
                          Buy SketchPlus
                          Buy SUbD
                          Buy WrapR
                          Buy eBook
                          Buy Modelur
                          Buy Vertex Tools
                          Buy SketchCuisine
                          Buy FormFonts

                          Advertisement