sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Lancashire type steam boilers

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Gallery
    25 Posts 10 Posters 5.3k Views 10 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • S
      shawb
      last edited by

      Hi Mike,
      Thank you for your comments. The semi-circular lower doors provide access for removal of ash which will have fallen through the grate which spans the widest part of the fire tube. These doors would also regulate the combustion air. I agree that they would not all have been open to the same angle - I should have taken them out of the component to show variation on each of them. Fresh coal is fired through the much smaller fire door in the upper semi-circle and these would be kept closed except when firing.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • L
        L i am
        last edited by

        Hi shawb, really nice work mate πŸ‘ Only constructive comment I would make is modifying the colour temperature of the lighting. The contemporary lighting source of that era would have been incandescent, so would be a lot warmer πŸ˜‰

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • S
          shawb
          last edited by

          Thanks for that tip L i am - its something that I should have twigged to!

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • NemesisN
            Nemesis
            last edited by

            Very cool! I like industrial thematic, but where is heat insulation ? πŸ˜„

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • S
              shawb
              last edited by

              Hi Nemesis, I debated with myself, long and hard, about lagging the pipes and valves but decided to model the said pipes and valves as a bit more interesting/challenging and have them 'on show'. Not correct I know. I operated steam plant for a number of years and would be the first to appreciate the skill of the industrial lagging specialists so it was a toss up between the two options.

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • tuna1957T
                tuna1957
                last edited by

                very nice πŸ‘

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • L
                  L i am
                  last edited by

                  Any render updates?

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • S
                    shawb
                    last edited by

                    Haven't managed to update yet (got side-tracked, which is easy with SU) but will do so soon!

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • S
                      shawb
                      last edited by

                      Once again, thank you all for the comments and observations. I have had a go at addressing some of these and the attached images are the result. Still a long way to go but the process is always interesting! In particular, I tried to adjust the lighting to better reflect the historical period, as suggested by L i am. Initially I added a dash of yellow to the pendant lights but this looked terrible! I looked on-line for RGB values for incandescent light and there is plenty of information available for all kinds of different light sources. Incandescent appears to be more orange and that is where I started from. (RGB = 255,197,41 for a 40w lamp)


                      Lancashire Boilers 04.jpg


                      Lancashire Boilers 05.jpg


                      Lancashire Boilers 06.jpg

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • Bryan KB
                        Bryan K
                        last edited by

                        Looks good. I think the new light temperature is perfect.

                        See my portfolio at https://delphiscousin.blogspot.com/

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • S
                          shawb
                          last edited by

                          Thank you Bryan, much appreciated! I am thinking of trying a railway themed model next.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • L
                            L i am
                            last edited by

                            @bryan k said:

                            Looks good. I think the new light temperature is perfect.

                            Agreed! much more convincing πŸ‘

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • DanielD
                              Daniel
                              last edited by

                              fantastic work, Shawb.

                              My avatar is an anachronism.

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • S
                                shawb
                                last edited by

                                Thank you Daniel and a belated Happy New Year to all!

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0

                                Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                                Register Login
                                • 1
                                • 2
                                • 1 / 2
                                • First post
                                  Last post
                                Buy SketchPlus
                                Buy SUbD
                                Buy WrapR
                                Buy eBook
                                Buy Modelur
                                Buy Vertex Tools
                                Buy SketchCuisine
                                Buy FormFonts

                                Advertisement