sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Raster to Vector or Sketchup importing SVG

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved SketchUp Discussions
    sketchup
    12 Posts 6 Posters 7.5k Views 6 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • kenK
      ken
      last edited by

      thomthom

      When I get a PDF I can convert to a dxf, I use the import to make models after making sure the scale is correct.

      If I can't convert to dxf, I make a screen grab and import that into Sketchup. However, the images have wide fuzzy lines that get worst as I scale up the screen grab. So I was hoping that a vector conversion would have thinner lines and clearer lines, making it easier to measure and have a little less error.

      My screen grabs are very selective, I don't try to get the whole drawing. I usually only grab a selected part.

      I don't expect to have a clean conversion from images to vector, however, if I can get thinner and clearer lines and lines that don't enlarge when I scale the drawing I will be able to make a better model. I am under no illusion that a raster to vector conversion is going to solve the problem with scanned images, however, I was hoping to get better results.

      Ken

      Fight like your the third monkey on Noah's Ark gangway.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • pilouP
        pilou
        last edited by

        I test this free one one line http://www.autotracer.org
        regulates 2 colors, 10, 10
        Save as DXF
        Import in Sketchup 6 free
        3047 edges

        No problem I have the contours πŸ’š
        πŸ˜„

        test.jpg
        fleur.jpg


        fleur.skp

        Frenchy Pilou
        Is beautiful that please without concept!
        My Little site :)

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • kenK
          ken
          last edited by

          Thanks thomthom and Pilou

          I tried the online, and it did just what I wanted. Made the line into vectors such that scaling up they didn't get fuzzy.

          Also found WIN TOPO, free which also does the job. So now I will be able to carry on with these scanned ACAD files.

          Thanks again.

          Ken

          Fight like your the third monkey on Noah's Ark gangway.

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • KrisidiousK
            Krisidious
            last edited by

            I've still yet to get any good results with the ones I've tried... I have a raster to vector thread somewhere around here.

            By: Kristoff Rand
            Home DesignerUnique House Plans

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • jarynzlesaJ
              jarynzlesa
              last edited by

              mark

              http://www.vizualizaceschodiste.mypage.cz/

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • KrisidiousK
                Krisidious
                last edited by

                here are some threads I've made and the responses.

                404 Not Found

                favicon

                (sketchucation.com)

                404 Not Found

                favicon

                (sketchucation.com)

                By: Kristoff Rand
                Home DesignerUnique House Plans

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • kenK
                  ken
                  last edited by

                  Krisidious

                  Thank you for your reply and you finding the old threads.

                  I have found four ways to do what I need.

                  1. WIN TOPO -Free
                  2. http://www.autotracer.org suggested by Pilou
                  3. Inkscape - I have found that Inkscape does a good job of converting PDF to DXF files.
                  4. RealDraw Pro - I have found that RealDraw Pro does a good job of tracing a bmp file.

                  All four of these solutions do an OK job. Nothing to brag about. However, I have found if I do a raster to vector conversion, and input this file and the image file in the same Sketchup file, and scale both, I get a good presentation on how to model the part. I don't try to vectorize a complete drawing just a sub set of parts. So now, I am content.

                  I make a group of the vector file, add a plane of transparent yellow over the file and redraw over the lines. By using a transparent yellow plane over the vector file I can see the lines I have drawn.

                  With a vector file I can get Sketchup to snap to ends of lines or crossing. With an image file, that does not happen.

                  Thanks to all that have replied.

                  Ken

                  Fight like your the third monkey on Noah's Ark gangway.

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • pilouP
                    pilou
                    last edited by

                    Maybe you can use too the new Toposhaper by Fredo 6 for optimize the result (line broken etc...

                    Frenchy Pilou
                    Is beautiful that please without concept!
                    My Little site :)

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • kenK
                      ken
                      last edited by

                      Pilou

                      I will take a look at that plugin. However, I redraw the parts and now that I have a way to make a vector file, I have the lines I need to use the Sketchup snapping to line ends or centers.

                      I just wanted the vector to get snapping to work, as it didn't work on an image.

                      Thanks, I will take a look and see it the plugin make the vector file easier to use.

                      Ken

                      Fight like your the third monkey on Noah's Ark gangway.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • R
                        rodman100
                        last edited by

                        Scan2Cad, http://www.scan2cad.com/ has been around for a long time, but its current release Release 8.3 is not cheap. It might suit some peoples needs though, & there is a free trial. It recognises and can edit text in images and supports batch processing. Its probably one of the best available bits of software for complex raster conversions out there. It's a few years (10 maybe) since I used it but I remember it as a highly competent program. As far as I remember AutoCAD Map had raster to vector functions built in, so our office switched to that on cost grounds.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                        Register Login
                        • 1 / 1
                        • First post
                          Last post
                        Buy SketchPlus
                        Buy SUbD
                        Buy WrapR
                        Buy eBook
                        Buy Modelur
                        Buy Vertex Tools
                        Buy SketchCuisine
                        Buy FormFonts

                        Advertisement