sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    My First Google Earth model

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Gallery
    16 Posts 12 Posters 1.3k Views 12 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • mitcorbM
      mitcorb
      last edited by

      Damn,damn,damn. πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘

      I take the slow, deliberate approach in my aimless wandering.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • boofredlayB
        boofredlay
        last edited by

        πŸ‘
        Great work as usual Alan.

        http://www.coroflot.com/boofredlay

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • leedeeteeL
          leedeetee
          last edited by

          Absolutely superb Alan! Nice one. Wipes the floor with 99.9999% of models on GE!

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • D
            dorfpunk
            last edited by

            Very nice indeed. Looks great

            it's a beautiful night - you can almost see the stars

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • Mike LuceyM
              Mike Lucey
              last edited by

              Alan Frazer a 'virgin' πŸ˜† Superb model Alan. Time wise what did it take?

              Support us so we can support you! Upgrade to Premium Membership!

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • Alan FraserA
                Alan Fraser
                last edited by

                A long time, Mike. A full day to get all the geometry accurate...the sloping site doesn't help. Then another two days to prepare and apply all the image maps. I could have just gone the quicky Photomatch route, but then I'd have ended up with walls plastered with bits of people, foliage and all the lamps on the balustrades that surround the place. I wanted the walls to be clean, so it took quite a while to clone brush all the extraneous detail out in Photoshop.
                It would probably have been quicker to model the entire structure in geometry, but that would have made for an unusable file.

                3D Figures
                Were you required to walk 500 miles? Were you advised to walk 500 more?
                You could be entitled to compensation. Call the Pro Claimers now!

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • Mike LuceyM
                  Mike Lucey
                  last edited by

                  I can well imagine it taking a while to get it to this level. Still, I imagine you only had to do half the building? BTW, are you familiar with InPaint? http://www.theinpaint.com/

                  Support us so we can support you! Upgrade to Premium Membership!

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • Alan FraserA
                    Alan Fraser
                    last edited by

                    That looks a very useful program, Mike...but I'm using PS CS5 which has a number of smart fill options which do essentially the same thing, so I'll stick with that. I'm getting too old to keep learning new stuff. πŸ˜‰

                    3D Figures
                    Were you required to walk 500 miles? Were you advised to walk 500 more?
                    You could be entitled to compensation. Call the Pro Claimers now!

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • soloS
                      solo
                      last edited by

                      Awesome Alan!

                      I am also a GE virgin, and plan to stay one. πŸ’š

                      However that's a great model and way better than most of the crap I have seen on GE.

                      Amazingly like everything of patriotic value in our country even the Whitehouse is not made in America. πŸ˜„

                      http://www.solos-art.com

                      If you see a toilet in your dreams do not use it.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • urgenU
                        urgen
                        last edited by

                        ...Great model! πŸ‘

                        --pupil forever...------

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • unigamiU
                          unigami
                          last edited by

                          Wow...beautiful...I don't think it could be done any better than this!

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • Bryan KB
                            Bryan K
                            last edited by

                            That's... that's a model?! πŸ˜„

                            See my portfolio at https://delphiscousin.blogspot.com/

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • david57D
                              david57
                              last edited by

                              Looks Great, I mean very Great or very very Great. πŸ˜„
                              Terrorists will be happy to study this model.
                              Looks like another attack site.

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • Alan FraserA
                                Alan Fraser
                                last edited by

                                @david57 said:

                                Terrorists will be happy to study this model.
                                Looks like another attack site.

                                In that case, they'll probably break their necks falling into the sunken gardens in front of the west central section...that I didn't bother extruding downwards. πŸ˜„

                                Thanks for the comments guys. There are actually a couple of quite decent models of the Capitol in the 3DW, but I guess I'm not alone in thinking that what is basically an exercise in tracing and Push/Pulling followed by wallpapering with reference shots is not REAL modelling...even though the result can look quite pretty πŸ˜‰
                                Yes, I'm a GE virgin AND an old fart.

                                3D Figures
                                Were you required to walk 500 miles? Were you advised to walk 500 more?
                                You could be entitled to compensation. Call the Pro Claimers now!

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • L
                                  liam887
                                  last edited by

                                  Nice work Alan. Never made anything for GE thus far, probably never will but as long as people such as yourself are knocking out quality things like this who needs to!

                                  VISIT MY ONLINE GALLERY
                                  http://www.robotsvdinosaurs.com/

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0

                                  Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                  Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                  With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                                  Register Login
                                  • 1 / 1
                                  • First post
                                    Last post
                                  Buy SketchPlus
                                  Buy SUbD
                                  Buy WrapR
                                  Buy eBook
                                  Buy Modelur
                                  Buy Vertex Tools
                                  Buy SketchCuisine
                                  Buy FormFonts

                                  Advertisement