sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Block restoration WIP

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Gallery
    20 Posts 12 Posters 1.9k Views 12 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • DanielD
      Daniel
      last edited by

      Thanks, guys.

      This is in Harriman, Tennessee - their main street.
      It has been fun, especially "The Spot" as I turned that into a design challenge. I enjoy modeling historic masonry buildings such as these (masonry designer software helps a lot) - but I do tend to get carried away on the detailing (guess it's the designer in me).
      Our actual office project is limited to the theatre (not shown, yet) and the two buildings adjacent (last two shown), but want to show the project in context. There has been some talk about trying to revitalize the area (the street is full of fantastic masonry buildings that are mostly intact), but I don't know how far it will go - but who knows...

      My avatar is an anachronism.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • S
        ScottPara
        last edited by

        Geat work and clean modeling.

        Scott

        Love the fact that some HATE my avatar.....

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • R
          Robert
          last edited by

          Nice work Daniel...looks like a really enjoyable project!

          Robert

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • DanielD
            Daniel
            last edited by

            The theatre:


            Historic Roane Street.jpg


            IMG_8090.JPG


            1795 marqueeA.jpg

            My avatar is an anachronism.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • DanielD
              Daniel
              last edited by

              The final presentation. Didn't have much time or information for the building on the extreme right, and not too fond of the large blank storefronts, but ran out of time.


              1795-1A.jpg


              1795-2A.jpg


              1795-3A.jpg


              1795 Poster2A1.jpg

              My avatar is an anachronism.

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • pyrolunaP
                pyroluna
                last edited by

                Whow cool project! Really like the theatre!

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • C
                  cheffey
                  last edited by

                  I was thinking this was in Cleveland, TN. There is a restaurant there that's a throwback 50s Diner called "The Spot".

                  Awesome work Daniel. I very much dig the subject matter!

                  BROS RŌMAN BRÄUN

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • L
                    leminilab
                    last edited by

                    It's perfect! I love it!

                    I don't know you spent on this one but it looks great.

                    Just the good amount of detail from my point of view.
                    Really an inspiring work! 👍

                    • "Live every day as if it were your last and then some day you'll be right."
                    • "ThomThom rules!!!"
                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • DanielD
                      Daniel
                      last edited by

                      Thank you, Martha, Cheffey, and Nicolas.

                      Cheffey, while working on the "the Spot" I did a little research, and it seems that name is very popular for small diners of every description across the U.S.

                      Nicolas, I really didn't keep time but on average I would guess 8 hours each building, some more, some less, depending on how much detail (brick arches are a bitch!, although i have done enough of them now it's no longer a daunting problem), how much (missing elements) I have to recreate, and how much historical information I have to work with. The theatre marquee took a considerable amount of time, especially trying to recreate those letters.

                      My avatar is an anachronism.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • G
                        Glenn at home
                        last edited by

                        Wow, great stuff Daniel. You really made those photos come back to life with your models. The details really made the difference.

                        SketchUp Pro 2025/2026 Dell XPS 8950 i9-12900K 64GB Ram RTX 3080

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • Bryan KB
                          Bryan K
                          last edited by

                          Neat project! Nice redesign!

                          See my portfolio at https://delphiscousin.blogspot.com/

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • DanielD
                            Daniel
                            last edited by

                            Thanks, Glenn and Bryan.

                            My avatar is an anachronism.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0

                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                            Register Login
                            • 1 / 1
                            • First post
                              Last post
                            Buy SketchPlus
                            Buy SUbD
                            Buy WrapR
                            Buy eBook
                            Buy Modelur
                            Buy Vertex Tools
                            Buy SketchCuisine
                            Buy FormFonts

                            Advertisement