sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Castle Howard

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Gallery
    72 Posts 56 Posters 31.2k Views 56 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • olisheaO
      olishea
      last edited by

      amazing work!! congratulations! πŸ‘

      oli

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • M
        MartinPh
        last edited by

        Remus, the statues are 3d, but I must adnmit I didn't model them myself. I found them on the internet and only simplified them a bit for use in this model. The bas reliefs on the facade are textures.

        Yeah, Charly, I prefer historical buildings too for modeling. But it is indeed rare to find such good reference material as in Vitruvius Brittanicus. It was the Dover reissue of that book which got me going on this project. Actually, VB will allow you to model almost any 18th century English country house; but I think I'll lay off for a while and do something completely different... πŸ˜‰

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • M
          MartinPh
          last edited by

          Oh, and did I say thank you yet to Fredo for his brilliant plugins, without which this would have taken another year at least?

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • numbthumbN
            numbthumb
            last edited by

            Size does matter after all...Congratulations! πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘

            Comfortably numb...

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • DanielD
              Daniel
              last edited by

              That is F@!/*#- awsome!

              My avatar is an anachronism.

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • artysmediaA
                artysmedia
                last edited by

                I ever envy those guys that make so great effort to make so beautiful buildings! πŸ‘

                Working with: Win7 64 bit OS - Core i5 - 2,27GHz and 8GB RAM

                Blog: Artysmedia

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • StinkieS
                  Stinkie
                  last edited by

                  That's some model! 😲

                  πŸ‘

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • urgenU
                    urgen
                    last edited by

                    ...good work))) thanks! πŸ‘

                    --pupil forever...------

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • K
                      KXI System
                      last edited by

                      @daniel said:

                      That is F@!/*#- awsome!

                      Double over here man
                      πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘
                      πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘

                      10 πŸ‘ wow, your the second person I gave this too!

                      Getting the perfect sig is hard...

                      Google it!

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • J
                        jopsa2
                        last edited by

                        very very impressive!! what a huge project to undertake, but definitely worth it! I would definitely recommend texturing it, would turn it into a killer project!

                        Can i ask about the stats? hoy many edges etc, did Sketchup handle it ok?

                        PS. nice touch with the sketchup fog πŸ˜‰

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • pmolsonP
                          pmolson
                          last edited by

                          Add me to the list of awed viewers.
                          Amazing!

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • daleD
                            dale
                            last edited by

                            You have my absolute respect. Wow!!

                            Just monkeying around....like Monsanto

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • M
                              MartinPh
                              last edited by

                              Thanks all! Jopsa, I'd love to texture it, but I would need a renderer that does procedurals (actually I have one, Vray, but it is unable to render models this large 😞). I think I'll be experimenting in Photoshop instead. Best of all would be to export this to Vue, as someone else suggested, but on my system that is definitely out of the question... (and like SU, Vue is very good at handling its own native format, but not so good at handling imported geometry).

                              As for stats:
                              3,446,304 edges
                              1,527,138 faces
                              6,682 component instances
                              3,832 groups

                              I am on a P4, 2,13 Ghz dual core Vista PC, with 4 GB of RAM and a 'Loser Edition' nVidia card that I will be replacing one of these days... (it messes up shadows completely). The model was finished in SU 7, and SU can handle it without any problem at all; only, when orbiting, components and groups go into box mode. I had several crashes, however, when trying to export large bitmaps.

                              PS, Jopsa: I found your Pantheon greatly inspiring, it seems to me that operates at an even higher level of detail!

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • M
                                MartinPh
                                last edited by

                                Here's another render. I love this feature of iRender, it actually does true orthogonal renders.

                                http://imgur.com/7Y4A4.jpg

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • Paul RussamP
                                  Paul Russam
                                  last edited by

                                  Well done! I'm truly impressed. That's a lot of work you've done there.
                                  Do you have an example of the drawings you worked from?, I'd love to see what type of info you had.

                                  Paul Russam
                                  English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark allies, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • 3
                                    3eighty
                                    last edited by

                                    Fantastic work...Reminds me of a castle out of "The Tudors"...If you want a render done in Vue I'd be happy to do one for you... πŸ‘

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • Al HartA
                                      Al Hart
                                      last edited by

                                      Nice stuff.

                                      I put a link to this thread on the Render Plus Blog.

                                      If you need another 30 days of IRender nXt, you can renew the trial code at: Reset Trial

                                      And I'll send you a PM with a special discount for IRender nXt.

                                      Keep up the good work!

                                      Al Hart

                                      http://wiki.renderplus.com/images/e/ef/Render_plus_colored30x30).PNG
                                      IRender nXt from Render Plus

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • L
                                        linea
                                        last edited by

                                        Martin
                                        This is phenomenal work. I live about an hour from Castle Howard so have visited a few times. Wish I'd thought about doing an SU model!

                                        jon

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • S
                                          studio1
                                          last edited by

                                          I am truely amazed - I'd like to say this is a stunning piece of work but it simply wouldn't do justice to the care and the sheer dedication gone into this.

                                          Unbeleivable....

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • D
                                            d12dozr
                                            last edited by

                                            Phenomenal modeling! Thanks for posting here for us all to enjoy πŸ˜„

                                            3D Printing with SketchUp Book
                                            http://goo.gl/f7ooYh

                                            1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                                            Register Login
                                            • 1
                                            • 2
                                            • 3
                                            • 4
                                            • 1 / 4
                                            • First post
                                              Last post
                                            Buy SketchPlus
                                            Buy SUbD
                                            Buy WrapR
                                            Buy eBook
                                            Buy Modelur
                                            Buy Vertex Tools
                                            Buy SketchCuisine
                                            Buy FormFonts

                                            Advertisement