sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Castle Howard

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Gallery
    72 Posts 56 Posters 31.2k Views 56 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • GaieusG
      Gaieus
      last edited by

      Wow.

      This is superb! πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘

      @martinph said:

      Well, it took over a year and I don't even want to think about the number of hours I spent on it...

      Why not? It seems to have been well worth every moment of modelling! πŸ˜‰

      @unknownuser said:

      Would love to see this given the Vue treatment with lots of vegatation

      True - that's probably all it needs at this stage. Although with iRender, you can get all those fractal plants, too, can't you?

      Gai...

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • M
        MartinPh
        last edited by

        I did these renders in the trial version of iRender, which runs out in 6 days, so I'm now considering buying it. It does have good RPC plant options that I'd love to experiment with!

        ...and with regard to all those hours, you are right, I enjoyed most of them hugely!

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • A
          alpro
          last edited by

          Incredible modeling! Would love to see some closeups of some of the detailed areas.

          Mike

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • R
            remus
            last edited by

            Amazing project! Did you model the statues as well or are they textures/components?

            http://remusrendering.wordpress.com/

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • charly2008C
              charly2008
              last edited by

              Hi MartinPh,

              It looks fantastic and certainly needed a lot of detail work. I like this historic projects very much. Historic buildings are my favorites too but most of the time the problem is to find good plans or drawings.

              He who makes no mistakes, makes nothing

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • F
                fymoro
                last edited by

                Mama mia !!! 😲

                http://www.thearender.com/cms/index.php/news/featured-artists/137-frederic-yves-moro.html

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • EscapeArtistE
                  EscapeArtist
                  last edited by

                  Great job!

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • olisheaO
                    olishea
                    last edited by

                    amazing work!! congratulations! πŸ‘

                    oli

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • M
                      MartinPh
                      last edited by

                      Remus, the statues are 3d, but I must adnmit I didn't model them myself. I found them on the internet and only simplified them a bit for use in this model. The bas reliefs on the facade are textures.

                      Yeah, Charly, I prefer historical buildings too for modeling. But it is indeed rare to find such good reference material as in Vitruvius Brittanicus. It was the Dover reissue of that book which got me going on this project. Actually, VB will allow you to model almost any 18th century English country house; but I think I'll lay off for a while and do something completely different... πŸ˜‰

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • M
                        MartinPh
                        last edited by

                        Oh, and did I say thank you yet to Fredo for his brilliant plugins, without which this would have taken another year at least?

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • numbthumbN
                          numbthumb
                          last edited by

                          Size does matter after all...Congratulations! πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘

                          Comfortably numb...

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • DanielD
                            Daniel
                            last edited by

                            That is F@!/*#- awsome!

                            My avatar is an anachronism.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • artysmediaA
                              artysmedia
                              last edited by

                              I ever envy those guys that make so great effort to make so beautiful buildings! πŸ‘

                              Working with: Win7 64 bit OS - Core i5 - 2,27GHz and 8GB RAM

                              Blog: Artysmedia

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • StinkieS
                                Stinkie
                                last edited by

                                That's some model! 😲

                                πŸ‘

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • urgenU
                                  urgen
                                  last edited by

                                  ...good work))) thanks! πŸ‘

                                  --pupil forever...------

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • K
                                    KXI System
                                    last edited by

                                    @daniel said:

                                    That is F@!/*#- awsome!

                                    Double over here man
                                    πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘
                                    πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘

                                    10 πŸ‘ wow, your the second person I gave this too!

                                    Getting the perfect sig is hard...

                                    Google it!

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • J
                                      jopsa2
                                      last edited by

                                      very very impressive!! what a huge project to undertake, but definitely worth it! I would definitely recommend texturing it, would turn it into a killer project!

                                      Can i ask about the stats? hoy many edges etc, did Sketchup handle it ok?

                                      PS. nice touch with the sketchup fog πŸ˜‰

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • pmolsonP
                                        pmolson
                                        last edited by

                                        Add me to the list of awed viewers.
                                        Amazing!

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • daleD
                                          dale
                                          last edited by

                                          You have my absolute respect. Wow!!

                                          Just monkeying around....like Monsanto

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • M
                                            MartinPh
                                            last edited by

                                            Thanks all! Jopsa, I'd love to texture it, but I would need a renderer that does procedurals (actually I have one, Vray, but it is unable to render models this large 😞). I think I'll be experimenting in Photoshop instead. Best of all would be to export this to Vue, as someone else suggested, but on my system that is definitely out of the question... (and like SU, Vue is very good at handling its own native format, but not so good at handling imported geometry).

                                            As for stats:
                                            3,446,304 edges
                                            1,527,138 faces
                                            6,682 component instances
                                            3,832 groups

                                            I am on a P4, 2,13 Ghz dual core Vista PC, with 4 GB of RAM and a 'Loser Edition' nVidia card that I will be replacing one of these days... (it messes up shadows completely). The model was finished in SU 7, and SU can handle it without any problem at all; only, when orbiting, components and groups go into box mode. I had several crashes, however, when trying to export large bitmaps.

                                            PS, Jopsa: I found your Pantheon greatly inspiring, it seems to me that operates at an even higher level of detail!

                                            1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                                            Register Login
                                            • 1
                                            • 2
                                            • 3
                                            • 4
                                            • 1 / 4
                                            • First post
                                              Last post
                                            Buy SketchPlus
                                            Buy SUbD
                                            Buy WrapR
                                            Buy eBook
                                            Buy Modelur
                                            Buy Vertex Tools
                                            Buy SketchCuisine
                                            Buy FormFonts

                                            Advertisement