sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Working with imported DWG file

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Newbie Forum
    sketchup
    12 Posts 5 Posters 1.6k Views 5 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • GaieusG
      Gaieus
      last edited by

      Hi Lio and welcome.

      Remus has a good deal of useful suggestions here. Also check out the initial steps to start building your 3D model after you've successfully imported the cad linework in this tutorial:
      http://www.sketchucation.com/creating-the-walls-of-a-house-in-google-sketchup/

      Gai...

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • S
        shnik
        last edited by

        sweet! great explenations. I can't wait to test this at home.
        Why can't I import DWG file into ver.7 and only onto 6? is there a solution?
        tnx!! 👍

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • R
          remus
          last edited by

          The dwg/dxf importers were removed from 7.1, but you can reinstall them using this: http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=22161#p186385

          http://remusrendering.wordpress.com/

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • S
            shnik
            last edited by

            thanks! here's a direct link to download the plug for XP -
            http://dl.google.com/sketchup/gsu7/AllowDWGImportInSketchUp7.msi
            Now I will have a chance to play with it a little while I'm away from home.

            will update later.
            tnx!

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • S
              shnik
              last edited by

              @shnik said:

              thanks! here's a direct link to download the plug for XP -
              http://dl.google.com/sketchup/gsu7/AllowDWGImportInSketchUp7.msi
              Now I will have a chance to play with it a little while I'm away from home.

              will update later.
              tnx!

              Ok, I really like it. The thing is that it didn't came out in scale like the real plan.
              How can I resize the walls? I uploaded the file, I also think that I didn't set up the axis as I need to.
              Thanks for the help!
              Lior


              my home plan

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • GaieusG
                Gaieus
                last edited by

                Hi Lio,

                In the Pro version, there is still the original, "built in" importer so I do not use this plugin but I am pretty sure that there is also an Options button. There should be a units pulldown there - make sure you import the cad file with the proper units it was made with.

                Gai...

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • S
                  shnik
                  last edited by

                  I managed to import, I used the option menu and checked the "metric", but when the plan came up, it was "floating", couldn't set it straight, and when I measured to check if it fits, it was really a mess. I tried to re-size, using the tape measure and than typing the real size, but then it messed up the other parts of the plan..is there a way to change it without messing the entire plan?
                  tnx for the help.
                  lio

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • GaieusG
                    Gaieus
                    last edited by

                    Make sure you do not"Preserve drawing origin" (there should be a checkbox for this) otherwise it may place it really into the distance and SU has issues with geometry being very far away from the origin.

                    Gai...

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • B
                      bjornhk
                      last edited by

                      I need to be able to import a 2D vector file (AI/EPS, WMF, SVG, PDF or other) into SketchUp (non-Pro), but there's no such import filters, it seems.

                      Theoretically, it should be possible to do this by converting the the file to a DXF and then import it using the DWG/DXF plugin, but i can't find any reasonably priced utility that converts to DXF/DWG...

                      Does anybody have a suggestion how to go about it?

                      Bjørn

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • AnssiA
                        Anssi
                        last edited by

                        @bjornhk said:

                        I need to be able to import a 2D vector file (AI/EPS, WMF, SVG, PDF or other) into SketchUp (non-Pro), but there's no such import filters, it seems.

                        Theoretically, it should be possible to do this by converting the the file to a DXF and then import it using the DWG/DXF plugin, but i can't find any reasonably priced utility that converts to DXF/DWG...

                        Does anybody have a suggestion how to go about it?

                        Bjørn

                        Illustrator is the best commercial tool for this.
                        For free, this should be doable with Ghostscript (a free Postscript clone) and suitable free plugins (PSTOEDIT). It's years since I had a look into it, but it is still available.
                        http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/
                        http://www.pstoedit.net/pstoedit/

                        Anssi

                        securi adversus homines, securi adversus deos rem difficillimam adsecuti sunt, ut illis ne voto quidem opus esset

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1 / 1
                        • First post
                          Last post
                        Buy SketchPlus
                        Buy SUbD
                        Buy WrapR
                        Buy eBook
                        Buy Modelur
                        Buy Vertex Tools
                        Buy SketchCuisine
                        Buy FormFonts

                        Advertisement