sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Sketchup shadow rules

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved SketchUp Discussions
    sketchup
    6 Posts 3 Posters 952 Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • M
      mirjman
      last edited by

      does anyone know what the technique is called that sketchup uses to control the 3d shading look when the sun is turned off? what are the rules for this? what I am talking about is that when you look at a face straight on, it will be much lighter than looking at it from a very shallow angle. I would like to know more of the details about how this works.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • A
        avariant
        last edited by

        I don't know the right answer, but I suspect it's whatever OpenGL uses as a default lighting. I think that it is "Phong" lighting. I know there are lots of equations out there for Phong. Sorry if that's no help.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • R
          remus
          last edited by

          I dont know a lot about how SU renders objects, although im fairly sure it uses Gouraud shading for smoothed objects.

          http://remusrendering.wordpress.com/

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • A
            avariant
            last edited by

            😳 My mistake. Gouraud is the default shading for OpenGL, not Phong.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • M
              mirjman
              last edited by

              thanks for response guys. I assume when you check "use sun for shading" it is just using the sun position to calculate the angle to the normals rather than the camera? same technique though?

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • A
                avariant
                last edited by

                It looks like that's what's going on to me.

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0

                Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                Register Login
                • 1 / 1
                • First post
                  Last post
                Buy SketchPlus
                Buy SUbD
                Buy WrapR
                Buy eBook
                Buy Modelur
                Buy Vertex Tools
                Buy SketchCuisine
                Buy FormFonts

                Advertisement