sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    โš ๏ธ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Locomotive

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved SketchUp Discussions
    sketchup
    34 Posts 9 Posters 6.6k Views 9 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • GaieusG
      Gaieus
      last edited by

      The simple way is to right click > Explode (down to the level you want to do this).
      However you may wish to keep some repetitive elements (like wheels for instance) components so you'll need to edit (i.e. texture) one only and all others inherit the changes.

      Gai...

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • R
        raduteo
        last edited by

        How do I export the texture, as in save the texture so I can edit it in photoshop, I prefer to make the layout of the locmotive, save the texture and actually apply the colors (photo-texture to be exact) in photoshop, is that possible?

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • GaieusG
          Gaieus
          last edited by

          Probably (well, from examples I've seen obviously) it is possible although I'm not an experienced PS user.

          Gai...

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • R
            raduteo
            last edited by

            I'm experienced with PS, so how does one export the texture?

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • GaieusG
              Gaieus
              last edited by

              But what texture if you only want to texture the model in PS? You can export a non-textured model and texture it in PS OR texture it in SU and eventually maybe tweak that texture in PS and reload it in SU (now it is even easier than before (works only on single faces); Right click the textured area > Texture > Edit texture image... and it will open PS (provided you set it at Window > Preferences > Applications) and whatever changes you make in PS,on saving, they will be immediately reloaded and reflected in SU.

              Gai...

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • R
                raduteo
                last edited by

                Thank you, and how does one see the polycount of the models.. I see SU shows triangles, is it the same thing?

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • GaieusG
                  Gaieus
                  last edited by

                  Window > Model info > Statistics. Triangulated surfaces are generally not good since they are the sign of non-planar geometry/modeling but surely even the least organic model (such as a locomotive) can have them easily. You can "rid" of them showing by smoothing your surfaces (select all > right click > Soften/smooth edges OR do it manually with the Ctrl+Eraser tool)

                  Gai...

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • R
                    raduteo
                    last edited by

                    I see alot of info but I'm not familiar with these statistics, which is the entire polycount of the model?

                    http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/6388/sdfwqbg0.jpg

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • GaieusG
                      Gaieus
                      last edited by

                      Edges (and faces). In fact, edges AND faces would be fully correct (and in true relationship) only if everything were triangulated although a lot of faces could still share the same edges.

                      So mostly edges.

                      Gai...

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • R
                        raduteo
                        last edited by

                        How does one optimise the model besides soften edges, if possible?
                        As my first model it has tiny gaps and such and I'm trying to prep it up for texturing, also about the groups, i have too many (over 200), just clicking expand will elimiante the group (but not the item that inside)? I wan to delete all groups and start regruping everything properly, how do I go on with the task? Thanks for having patience.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • GaieusG
                          Gaieus
                          last edited by

                          After you exploded the outer "shell" group, there may be nested groups inside but everything is still selected. Just right click again and go on exploding until you are done with everything.

                          I'm still not sure however that this is the best idea you can do with such a complex model. Once exploded, it will be hard to precisely select what you want to include into a group.

                          You can always "heal" tiny gaps (within the same context - i.e. in a group or in the model if everything is exploded) by redrawing an edge of what's supposed to be a (coplanar) face. Intersection can also help al ot (I see that the two halves in your model do not precisely line up with each other).

                          Gai...

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • MarianM
                            Marian
                            last edited by

                            Nice, model..although i see you have some faces that need to be reversed(the blue ones), otherwise it could creat problems with renders and such..and also a nice clean model is better:P
                            For a beginner you did well, so congratulions are order...
                            Food fo though, as you got right the basic shape...you could start modelling the details rather than putting texture, or you could do both.
                            Cheers, happy sketching.

                            http://marian87.deviantart.com/

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • R
                              raduteo
                              last edited by

                              Thank you, I already made it relatively detailed but since I didn't know the polycount I called it done, some details:

                              http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/3903/53417025pr4.jpg

                              It's going to be exported and put in Microsoft Train Simulator so I have to texture it but first I have to regropu everything and it's a pain. And some panels dont quite fit but its too late to correct. ๐Ÿ˜•

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • R
                                raduteo
                                last edited by

                                is there a UV mapping plugin or something like that? I searched but didn't find anything but I'm desperately hoping there is, or a 3rd pary UV mapping program that works well with sketchup?
                                Thanks.

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • BurkhardB
                                  Burkhard
                                  last edited by

                                  Search for UVTools and you'll find it.

                                  http://www.ia-plus.de

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • romboutR
                                    rombout
                                    last edited by

                                    @raduteo said:

                                    is there a UV mapping plugin or something like that? I searched but didn't find anything but I'm desperately hoping there is, or a 3rd pary UV mapping program that works well with sketchup?
                                    Thanks.

                                    any luck yet... im thinking of learning to uvmap as well

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0

                                    Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                    Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                    With your input, this post could be even better ๐Ÿ’—

                                    Register Login
                                    • 1
                                    • 2
                                    • 2 / 2
                                    • First post
                                      Last post
                                    Buy SketchPlus
                                    Buy SUbD
                                    Buy WrapR
                                    Buy eBook
                                    Buy Modelur
                                    Buy Vertex Tools
                                    Buy SketchCuisine
                                    Buy FormFonts

                                    Advertisement