sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    The City Of Ankh-Morpork W.I.P.

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved SketchUp Discussions
    sketchup
    68 Posts 18 Posters 15.4k Views 18 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • GaieusG
      Gaieus
      last edited by

      And some inspiring images;
      http://www.medievalworlds.com/gallery_en.html

      Gai...

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • A
        angusog
        last edited by

        Excellent Gai,

        especially the one in there of ankh morpork with the tower of art in the background

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • A
          angusog
          last edited by

          Progress update

          started a new city, unmodified terrain with buildings grouped on top of component

          still huge but will drop from 8mb to 3 with map deleted

          am city 4 uploaded to 3dwh, under ankh morpork collection, if you wish to be added to collaborate please pm me your email

          Rob


          main street areas blocked in


          house for street of cunning artificers render

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • pbacotP
            pbacot
            last edited by

            My wife will be delighted to see this work. She loves the books.

            I'd say the house is great, maybe too well lit and regular? I'd expect medieval lighting to be uneven warm glows (plus a few greenish glares from the more questionable practitioners' stores).

            I appreciate the fun you're having with this, having been a Tolkien and Narnia fan myself. But I read one Discworld book and did not get it.

            Gook luck

            MacOSX MojaveSketchUp Pro v19 Twilight v2 Thea v3 PowerCADD

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • R
              Rodentpete
              last edited by

              Excellent project - for references for some of the buildings you might want to look at some of the Clarecraft figurines of the buildings.

              Hmm, I may have a go at modelling them....

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • A
                angusog
                last edited by

                Thanks for that Pete, had forgot all about clarecraft,

                Pb what book was it you read of the discworld series, terry's humour is a little bit off beat i suppose but I love it, "rincewind" the wizard is bloody brilliant, a survivor if ever there was one. Nanny Ogg, Mistress weatherwax and Magrat the witches are excellent too, as are the nac mac feegle, who think if it is bigger than them , fight it and at 6" tall everything is bigger than them... 🀣

                rob

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • R
                  Rodentpete
                  last edited by

                  I bet that Solo could model some awesome Feegles.....

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • pbacotP
                    pbacot
                    last edited by

                    @angusog said:

                    Pb what book was it you read of the discworld series, terry's humour is a little bit off beat i suppose but I love it, "rincewind" the wizard is bloody brilliant, a survivor if ever there was one. Nanny Ogg, Mistress weatherwax and Magrat the witches are excellent too, as are the nac mac feegle, who think if it is bigger than them , fight it and at 6" tall everything is bigger than them... 🀣

                    rob

                    I read Soul Music. It was fun and diverting.

                    MacOSX MojaveSketchUp Pro v19 Twilight v2 Thea v3 PowerCADD

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • A
                      angusog
                      last edited by

                      Cool

                      I just finished it again for about the 5th time "music with rocks in" πŸ˜†

                      Death is awesome in it , joining the Klatchian foreign legion to forget was a hilarious part of the book

                      and finished "Eric" this week, small but funny 12yr old demonologist and Rincewind go well together....

                      I have a picture of "Rob Anybody", Big Man of the feegle somewhere need to post it. and I think you are right Solo could do it real justice.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • G
                        geh4evr
                        last edited by

                        Gai, Shift it on over to the other forum! πŸ˜„

                        I'm sorry I haven't been modelling much, I've been very busy, Hopefully I will get some done tommorow.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • GaieusG
                          Gaieus
                          last edited by

                          @geh4evr said:

                          Gai, Shift it on over to the other forum! πŸ˜„

                          Cool - done!

                          Gai...

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • S
                            Simon B
                            last edited by

                            Here is another great resource for inspiration:

                            Just Google Images with "York Shambles" - not a plumb line in sight!


                            13_shambles.jpg

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • A
                              angusog
                              last edited by

                              some more updates

                              The local pub, although modeled with square sides, would love to model it all wonky like a 400yr old building would be like , but i reckon file size would treble

                              haven't worked on the city this week at all

                              reckon this could take a while to get modeled πŸ˜„


                              The Mended Drum, most famous pub on the discworld


                              and the skippy

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • thomthomT
                                thomthom
                                last edited by

                                This is great! I love Terry Pratchet's stuff. I've played with the idea myself of doing some modelling related to Discworld.

                                Thomas Thomassen β€” SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
                                List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • thomthomT
                                  thomthom
                                  last edited by

                                  That'd be great. I have a few of the mapps and illustrated books for accurate references. Hook me up and I'll join you.

                                  Thomas Thomassen β€” SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
                                  List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • A
                                    angusog
                                    last edited by

                                    G'day Tom

                                    it would be fantastic if you could join in the building of ankh morpork, i'm doing the post office atm, the mint, tower of art, any model in fact the would suit a medieval township would be welcome, if you want to be included in the 3dwh collaboration let me know , you would be most welcome.

                                    I have edited the model and reduced the file size a lot by deleting the lettering on the front.

                                    Robert


                                    AM PO SUv6.jpg


                                    ahnk postoffice v6.skp

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • thomthomT
                                      thomthom
                                      last edited by

                                      @rodentpete said:

                                      I bet that Solo could model some awesome Feegles.....

                                      πŸ˜„

                                      Thomas Thomassen β€” SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
                                      List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • S
                                        sepo
                                        last edited by

                                        This looks like fantastic project...BTW language is none from Balkan. It is Slavic for sure though.

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • thomthomT
                                          thomthom
                                          last edited by

                                          I have the English version of the Mappe.
                                          I'll see if I can get it scanned in pieces and stitch together or take a photo of it.

                                          Thomas Thomassen β€” SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
                                          List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • GaieusG
                                            Gaieus
                                            last edited by

                                            It's Czech as far as I can see...

                                            Gai...

                                            1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                                            Register Login
                                            • 1
                                            • 2
                                            • 3
                                            • 4
                                            • 3 / 4
                                            • First post
                                              Last post
                                            Buy SketchPlus
                                            Buy SUbD
                                            Buy WrapR
                                            Buy eBook
                                            Buy Modelur
                                            Buy Vertex Tools
                                            Buy SketchCuisine
                                            Buy FormFonts

                                            Advertisement