sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    โš ๏ธ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    SU7 news!

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved SketchUp Discussions
    sketchup
    52 Posts 23 Posters 9.6k Views 23 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • I
      igor
      last edited by

      hey, i was recently at the Maker Faire in san mateo, california, and they had a google sketchup/youtube booth. they had people that actualy work on SU for google there! i got to talk with them, show them the forum, my stuff, talk about modeling techniques. IT WAS AWSOME!

      anyway, they said that soon, there might be you tube integration. ie: press a button and you do waht ever you want (zoom, orbit, ect) and then upload it to youtube! this would be awsome for sharing models and tutorials. you guys like the idea? this would mean no more screen recorders ect. i think its a cool idea.

      The genius switch has no "off" position
      Intelegence is natrual, it takes real effort to be ignorant

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • jujuJ
        juju
        last edited by

        FFS, more useless junk integration.

        Save the Earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • O
          otb designworks
          last edited by

          @unknownuser said:

          FFS, more useless junk integration.

          No kidding... ๐Ÿ˜ 

          Cheers, Chuck

          OTB Designworks is on Youtube

          6 core nMP, 32 gig RAM, (2) D700 GPU's, dual monitors

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • S
            Stu
            last edited by

            Now what I'd really like to see is some sort of Facebook intergration.
            So that your typical 9-13 year old could do cool little models of their house or school that their friends could orbit in real time.
            That would be sick!!!

            http://www.landesign.com.au

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • O
              otb designworks
              last edited by

              That would be like totally sick, like, oh my god, and like, you know, awesome!!

              Cheers, Chuck

              OTB Designworks is on Youtube

              6 core nMP, 32 gig RAM, (2) D700 GPU's, dual monitors

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • T
                tomsdesk
                last edited by

                Yup! It's gettin' to be a hoot'n'a'half!

                http://www.tomsdesk.moonfruit.com/
                2.5D Trees & Shrubs!

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • R
                  remus
                  last edited by

                  As interestign as it sounds, id prefer to see some new hard and fast modelling features. I think if there isnt any good new features for hardcore users in SU 7 a lot of people are going to jump ship and find new bits of sofware that better suit their needs, it gets pretty boring waiting for news/releases all the time, especially when they arent even feaures useful to people who really need them.

                  Anywya, fingers crossed for something good ๐Ÿ˜„

                  http://remusrendering.wordpress.com/

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • FrederikF
                    Frederik
                    last edited by

                    I'm with remus on this one... ๐Ÿ‘

                    I have absolutely NO need for any YouTube, Facebook or similar tricks...!!
                    If I want something on YouTube, I can export an animation and upload it to YouTube...
                    I sure hope SU7 will have other and more useful features..!!

                    Cheers
                    Kim Frederik

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • S
                      Stu
                      last edited by

                      Wow, you guys are like... are like... wow... totally not sick!

                      http://www.landesign.com.au

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • StinkieS
                        Stinkie
                        last edited by

                        I agree with you guys. I'd like to see significant, useful improvements - not this kind of, erm, cr*p. Pardon my French!

                        YouTube integration ... pah. ๐Ÿคข

                        Edit: I cannot imagine, though, that Google is deaf for the cries for, say, the ability to handle more polygons.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • L
                          lewiswadsworth
                          last edited by

                          I have a sense that 3D Basecamp may not be the joyous, wish-fulfilling experience we might hope.

                          Youtube?

                          Arrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhh.

                          col sporcar si trova

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • soloS
                            solo
                            last edited by

                            Guys!

                            This is all hear say!, Lets give them the benefit of the doubt.

                            There is a non disclosure at the moment so I doubt anything of substance has or will be discussed, we all hope that version 7 will have all the cool features and updates as mentioned in many wish-list thread.

                            There have been many requests for some major upgrades and many of which would require almost reformulating the entire program, so if I may ask a hypothetical question:

                            Which of these would be best?

                            (A) There is a total overhaul of program, UV mapping is working perfectly, Higher polygon support, more flexible modeling tool, and lots of the other stuff we all wished for included, however there is no longer a free version and the upgrade will cost $200.00 due to all the new features and extra coding blah, blah, blah.

                            (B) There are a few upgrades, better stability, more VGa support, Layout improvements and maybe a like said above a You-tube integration, however it's still got a free version and no cost to upgrade the pro version.

                            I personally would prefer option A as I use this program professionally and thus the cost is no issue, but what about hobbyists and other users?

                            We must not forget our recent upgrades, what you say? well we recently got FFD, Bevel, curved surface offset, (others that i have forgotten) for free and Subdivide and smooth at a nominal price with a brilliant lightning plugin to look forward to. Just these ruby's would have made an awesome version 7 addition. So I hope for everything I asked for is in version 7 as I have been a good boy all year, so Santa may be generous ... or not, but hey we still have had a few amazing upgrades regardless.

                            http://www.solos-art.com

                            If you see a toilet in your dreams do not use it.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • K
                              kwistenbiebel
                              last edited by

                              +1 to what Remus and Frederick says.

                              It's time for more cake.... less icing.

                              Having a youtube link is 'fun' and not such a bad find from google (sharing an animation of a project with a client over youtube can be a useful thing), but it is more of a gadget than a feature.

                              Sometimes I have the feeling someone closed the door to the SU core and threw away the key.

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • S
                                Stu
                                last edited by

                                I actually feel there is going to be a weird split here.

                                If the last 'upgrade' is anything to go by I'm not expecting anything stunning in V7 [probably a few nods to the pros amongst up.....but marching steadily in the direction of GE.]

                                So there is going to be SU for the masses and then a somewhat esoteric customisable version that is employing all the absolutly incredible rubys that are coming out. And because of the diverse places these Rubys can be found a person will need to do a fair bit of research to actually find them all.

                                The difference between a stock standard SU and one loaded with Rubys and plugins is pretty amazing now....and in a year or two?......probably the output will be almost unrecognisable! ๐Ÿ˜„

                                Its almost like an underground is developing ๐Ÿ˜„

                                Stu

                                http://www.landesign.com.au

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • L
                                  lewiswadsworth
                                  last edited by

                                  @solo said:

                                  We must not forget our recent upgrades, what you say? well we recently got FFD, Bevel, curved surface offset, (others that i have forgotten) for free and Subdivide and smooth at a nominal price with a brilliant lightning plugin to look forward to. Just these ruby's would have made an awesome version 7 addition.

                                  I would say that is in fact a problem...those aren't upgrades. They are scripts. Although I am forever impressed with the ingenuity of our Ruby-coding friends, I should like to point out that there is not a single one of these effects that is not available, currently, built-in and relatively bug-free in competitive programs at the moment...and this has been true for years in some cases. Even AdamB's amazing "LightUp" is not unique...a similar idea is now being pushed in Rhino's public beta-lab.

                                  Why don't I post much anymore here? Because I'm largely modeling my projects in another piece of software, that's why. SU began stagnating, as a piece of design software useful to someone like me, at least a year ago...and that is a shame.

                                  col sporcar si trova

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • T
                                    todd burch
                                    last edited by

                                    Being in software development myself, (my day job), something akin to a ruby interface, in any piece of software, is a godsend to closed-source code developers. Why? Because instead of the masses waiting for a new feature to be developed, they can write the feature themselves and have it NOW. It's that simple. Give the users a toolbox and they will build. And that's what's happening.

                                    Todd

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • StinkieS
                                      Stinkie
                                      last edited by

                                      @lewiswadsworth said:

                                      I would say that is in fact a problem...those aren't upgrades. They are scripts.

                                      True. While some of the scripts we use daily are absolutely brilliant, they certainly don't lessen (that's a word, right?) the need for some serious improvements.

                                      The central question here is: what is SU to Google?

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • B
                                        Buzzer1001
                                        last edited by

                                        I haven't been online for aaaages (not since the @Last forums went bye-bye) - so can someone tell me if this feature was actually requested?

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • BurkhardB
                                          Burkhard
                                          last edited by

                                          @unknownuser said:

                                          Because instead of the masses waiting for a new feature to be developed, they can write the feature themselves and have it NOW. It's that simple. Give the users a toolbox and they will build. And that's what's happening.

                                          I think there are more interrests from different users than programming. It get out of control with the tons of rubys here.

                                          http://www.ia-plus.de

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • StinkieS
                                            Stinkie
                                            last edited by

                                            What feature, the YouTube thing? If so, this looks like something the marketing boys at Google HQ came up with.

                                            1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better ๐Ÿ’—

                                            Register Login
                                            • 1
                                            • 2
                                            • 3
                                            • 1 / 3
                                            • First post
                                              Last post
                                            Buy SketchPlus
                                            Buy SUbD
                                            Buy WrapR
                                            Buy eBook
                                            Buy Modelur
                                            Buy Vertex Tools
                                            Buy SketchCuisine
                                            Buy FormFonts

                                            Advertisement