sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    A Colonial Style Drop Leaf Table

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Woodworking
    24 Posts 6 Posters 3.3k Views 6 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • cottyC
      cotty
      last edited by

      πŸ‘

      (It was only my first impression, I never thought you would scale a texture wrong πŸ˜‰ )

      my SketchUp gallery

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • Jean-FrancoJ
        Jean-Franco
        last edited by

        Very nice result Dave.
        You always find nice textures.

        Jean-Franco

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • olisheaO
          olishea
          last edited by

          Lovely work and lovely style πŸ‘

          oli

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • Dave RD
            Dave R
            last edited by

            Thank you gentlemen.

            I gave the rendering another shot after moving the top light and making it smaller. I also used a more subtle line export.
            Colonial drop leaf 2.png
            Those heavy stretchers between the legs are accurate to the original but not really my cup of tea. I suppose since this was intended to be used in a tavern, the stretchers were made heavy to support the hob nailed boots of those men sitting around the table with their flagons of ale.

            Etaoin Shrdlu

            %

            (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

            G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

            M30

            %

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • BoxB
              Box
              last edited by

              I'm with Cotty a bit on this, it might be accurate but it does look large. I think it's the proportions that are throwing the eye off.
              You're saying the drop leaf is only 12" which makes the table only around 2' tall but the eye tells me it is dinner table height and therefore the grain is huge. When i look again and work out how big the whole thing is the grain makes sense.

              Perhaps it needs something else in the image to see the scale right.

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • Dave RD
                Dave R
                last edited by

                I'm sure you're right about needing something to provide context for the size. If I get some time I'll add a couple of ladder back chairs as reference.

                Etaoin Shrdlu

                %

                (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

                G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

                M30

                %

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • BoxB
                  Box
                  last edited by

                  And a flagon of ale.

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • Dave RD
                    Dave R
                    last edited by

                    Good idea. I need to find a flagon. there's one in the warehouse but it's awful. (or is that offal?)

                    Etaoin Shrdlu

                    %

                    (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

                    G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

                    M30

                    %

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • BoxB
                      Box
                      last edited by

                      I'm sure I can model one for you, but I will have to do extensive research, I may be some time.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • Dave RD
                        Dave R
                        last edited by

                        No worries. I can probably come up with something. I don't want to put a lot of detail into it, anyway. It'll just make the render time longer.

                        Etaoin Shrdlu

                        %

                        (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

                        G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

                        M30

                        %

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • BoxB
                          Box
                          last edited by

                          I'm sure you can, and far better than me, it was the research I was interested in. Come to think of it, put in a couple of Octoberfest serving wenches and nobody will care what your table looks like.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • Dave RD
                            Dave R
                            last edited by

                            πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

                            Etaoin Shrdlu

                            %

                            (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

                            G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

                            M30

                            %

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • olisheaO
                              olishea
                              last edited by

                              πŸ˜†

                              For what it's worth I prefer the lighting of the first image.

                              oli

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • Dave RD
                                Dave R
                                last edited by

                                @olishea said:

                                :lol:

                                For what it's worth I prefer the lighting of the first image.

                                Thank you. Can you say what you like better?

                                Etaoin Shrdlu

                                %

                                (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

                                G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

                                M30

                                %

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • olisheaO
                                  olishea
                                  last edited by

                                  Just brighter. I know the second one has sharper shadows and less noise which is nice, but needs more brightness IMO. It looks quite dim on my screen. Could just be different monitors, of course, but it's looking flatter to me.

                                  A quick exposure adjustments would improve it, or increasing intesnity of the light above if you can be arsed rendering again. πŸ˜‰ Hope this helps.

                                  oli

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • Dave RD
                                    Dave R
                                    last edited by

                                    You're right, the second one isn't quite as bright as the first. I didn't make as much of an adjustment in the image editor on that one as I could have. I'll probably render it again with a couple of chairs and maybe a flagon of ale. For that I'll probably add a couple more lights, too, but I'll bump up the intensity of the top light a little more.
                                    Thanks for the crit.

                                    Etaoin Shrdlu

                                    %

                                    (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

                                    G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

                                    M30

                                    %

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • Dave RD
                                      Dave R
                                      last edited by

                                      Chairs added for scale and brighter for Oli.

                                      Etaoin Shrdlu

                                      %

                                      (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

                                      G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

                                      M30

                                      %

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • olisheaO
                                        olishea
                                        last edited by

                                        Awesome!! Nailed it!

                                        oli

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • Dave RD
                                          Dave R
                                          last edited by

                                          Thank you, thank you. I really ought to do something different with the floor but I think I'll move on to something else.

                                          Etaoin Shrdlu

                                          %

                                          (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

                                          G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

                                          M30

                                          %

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • M
                                            mrossk
                                            last edited by

                                            of course, no one mentioned that the table is facing the wrong way, but now i'm just nitpicking πŸ˜‰

                                            https://www.mkaplanfinefurniture.com/

                                            1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                                            Register Login
                                            • 1
                                            • 2
                                            • 1 / 2
                                            • First post
                                              Last post
                                            Buy SketchPlus
                                            Buy SUbD
                                            Buy WrapR
                                            Buy eBook
                                            Buy Modelur
                                            Buy Vertex Tools
                                            Buy SketchCuisine
                                            Buy FormFonts

                                            Advertisement