sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Reflections

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Gallery
    22 Posts 13 Posters 2.4k Views 13 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • N
      nickchun
      last edited by

      One of your best. Nice one John

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • GubermenschG
        Gubermensch
        last edited by

        Stellar. I haven't seen many people with your style, very unique, very nice.

        Where do you get your background images from?

        http://www.jacobgubler.com/

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • PixeroP
          Pixero
          last edited by

          Wow. I like it.
          Just a question, are these images paid jobs?

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • Mike AmosM
            Mike Amos
            last edited by

            Your photography is improving in leaps and bounds John, which f stop did you use? πŸ˜‰

            Absentia mortis praesentiam vitae probat, vita autem est argumentum constantiae.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • tademaT
              tadema
              last edited by

              Thank you Nick.

              Jacob, the background images are nothing special and freely available on Google Images, Picassa ect. I would typically search "Yorkshire Dales" for example then work several images together.

              Jan, Just a question, are these images paid jobs?
              I wish πŸ˜„ , no it's just a pastime for me.

              Mike, would you ask David Bailey that question πŸ˜†

              John

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • J
                jpalm32
                last edited by

                So good, as always.

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • Mike AmosM
                  Mike Amos
                  last edited by

                  "Mike, would you ask David Bailey that question "

                  Oh yeah, mind you I would be unlikely to be able to afford the answer.

                  Absentia mortis praesentiam vitae probat, vita autem est argumentum constantiae.

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • Bryan KB
                    Bryan K
                    last edited by

                    Wow. The texturing is incredible. πŸ‘

                    Not going to mention the lighting and composition as that's just about always perfect. πŸ˜†

                    See? Even Jan thinks these are (more than) good enough to be paid for. I think someone should drop your name to a historical preservation society. Preferably a gov one with money.

                    See my portfolio at https://delphiscousin.blogspot.com/

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • DanielD
                      Daniel
                      last edited by

                      πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘

                      Was that composited into a photograph, or was that road modeled/textured/rendered?

                      My avatar is an anachronism.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • tademaT
                        tadema
                        last edited by

                        Thanks again everyone.
                        Bryan, this is how I like it without any pressure.
                        Daniel, I textured the road but added the puddles and reflections in PS.

                        John

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • C
                          cuttingedge
                          last edited by

                          Really nice work.. Keep wondering which part of the image is model, and which part is photoshop. Is the wet road a 3d model?

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • ElibjrE
                            Elibjr
                            last edited by

                            Truly amazing as always! What rendering engine and version do you use? And if I may ask, how long did it take you to do this. Can we see a colored hidden line version of this image? That would make this even more impressive.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • tademaT
                              tadema
                              last edited by

                              Thanks for the replies.

                              OK...I use v-ray and PS 3, I always output images @ 7016 x 4960 which usually takes a couple of hours or more depending in parameters, bump ect. This particular render took three shifts from start to finish and as you can see there is not as much PP as most think.

                              I often wonder why I'm asked to display the raw render output, hidden line work ect on almost every render I post. Do people think I'm cheating in some way! even after all the time I've been posting.

                              Anyway here's the raw render output...
                              Reflections Render Image.jpg

                              John

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • Mike AmosM
                                Mike Amos
                                last edited by

                                John, I doubt anyone thinks you are cheating, the raw output can sometimes give a little idea of where the render finishes and the magic starts. Understanding this process can help to improve our renders. I hope. You just happen to have the 'magic' touch.

                                Absentia mortis praesentiam vitae probat, vita autem est argumentum constantiae.

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • stefanqS
                                  stefanq
                                  last edited by

                                  What Mike said, it's like taking a peek over your shoulder, I think it's flattering most of the time. You're great by the way! πŸ‘

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • tademaT
                                    tadema
                                    last edited by

                                    Thank you, I was not having a go at anyone! I have no big secrets and feel I've always been open and answered any questions. PP plays a part in rendering and an awful lot of people place too much emphasis on it, the better the model the less PP needed. As you can see above
                                    the SU model is much more important than PP.
                                    That was what I was trying to point out.

                                    thanks
                                    John

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • DanielD
                                      Daniel
                                      last edited by

                                      @tadema said:

                                      Thanks again everyone.
                                      Bryan, this is how I like it without any pressure.
                                      Daniel, I textured the road but added the puddles and reflections in PS.

                                      John

                                      It truly looks like a photograph.

                                      My avatar is an anachronism.

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • RichardR
                                        Richard
                                        last edited by

                                        Yeah true, this is SERIOUSLY one of your best and I'm a big fan of your previous best! πŸ‘

                                        BUILTBRAND.COM.AU

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • Bryan KB
                                          Bryan K
                                          last edited by

                                          @tadema said:

                                          Thanks again everyone.
                                          Bryan, this is how I like it without any pressure.

                                          John

                                          Well I can't you blame there. πŸ‘

                                          See my portfolio at https://delphiscousin.blogspot.com/

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • ElibjrE
                                            Elibjr
                                            last edited by

                                            Oh no John! We don't think you are cheating, we want to know what the gap looks like between the two. When the average person sees a rendering a lot of people don't understand what goes into producing a final image. Since you have mastered this and have it down to at least a well produced science, we like to see what it looks like when the model is raw or there is very little post work. But it also shows us the level of detail we need to be looking at before we send to a renderer or and how much post processing this type of image requires. And by showing us the starting point shows what you do is no small feat! Actually we are complementing you by saying to you.. "My goodness, that's incredible! Do you mind showing us how you did that?" If people actually thought you were cheating, no one would ask or comment. Think about it. What you posted is beautiful. And we all just sat up and took notice. And that is a good thing.

                                            1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                                            Register Login
                                            • 1
                                            • 2
                                            • 1 / 2
                                            • First post
                                              Last post
                                            Buy SketchPlus
                                            Buy SUbD
                                            Buy WrapR
                                            Buy eBook
                                            Buy Modelur
                                            Buy Vertex Tools
                                            Buy SketchCuisine
                                            Buy FormFonts

                                            Advertisement