sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Simple 2D spiral

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Newbie Forum
    sketchup
    24 Posts 7 Posters 5.5k Views 7 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • T
      ticoloco
      last edited by

      I do not want a 3D helix, I want a simple 2D spiral (with the aim to push).
      Are there any possibilities within SU? It should be much simplier to program than a helix!

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • G
        GreyHead
        last edited by

        Try Draw helix 13 and set the pitch to 0 to keep the helix 2d.

        Or K tools will allow you to define your own equation for the spiral.

        Bob

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • T
          ticoloco
          last edited by

          Thank you Greyhead,
          the K-tools helped. But I still have the problem, that the resulting object seems not to be joinable into an area.
          What I want to do are scrolls (rolled rectangles). Any ideas?
          Thank you for your time

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • R
            remus
            last edited by

            You could use didiers projection tools to turn it in to an extruded face (http://www.crai.archi.fr/RubyLibraryDepot/Ruby/em_geo_page.htm name: projection_v6.rb) or you could start with a bir rectangle, slice it up in to lots of small rectangles and then incrementaly rotate them. See tut for more details.


            Add more seqments to the starting rectangle to increase smothness of the scroll.

            http://remusrendering.wordpress.com/

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • G
              GreyHead
              last edited by

              For scrolled rectangles see this post - you'd need to delete some unwanted stuff.

              Bob

              PS No time to test it now - I'll try later.

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • TaffGochT
                TaffGoch
                last edited by

                @ticoloco said:

                What I want to do are scrolls (rolled rectangles). Any ideas?

                Something like these?

                If not, do you have a photo of what you're trying to achieve?

                Taff


                RolledUp1.png


                RolledUp2.png

                "Information is not knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • B
                  bbwolf
                  last edited by

                  Hello there

                  @TaffGoch

                  That´s exactly what I want to do. How´d you create this?
                  Looking for how to do a spiral in SU for hours now, but can´t
                  seem to find an answer.

                  What´s KTools btw, anyone?

                  Thanks

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • GaieusG
                    Gaieus
                    last edited by

                    Hi Wolf,

                    kt_tools##.rb (for different mathematical shapes) and drawhelix##.rb (for spirals) are ruby scripts used as plugins in SU.
                    You can download them here.

                    Gai...

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • B
                      bbwolf
                      last edited by

                      Hey Gaieus

                      I really hate to sound like a total noob but when I try to download the stuff I get a website with ALL the code. What am I ´sposed to do with that?
                      I tried to put in a text file but my mac flatly refuses to change the suffix to rb.

                      wth? Any ideas? Would be great. Clock is ticking for me and that sucks.

                      Thanks everybody

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • GaieusG
                        Gaieus
                        last edited by

                        Don't worry about sounding like a noob - after all we are in the Newbie Forum (and we all had to start somewhere).

                        Anyway, I'm not a Mac user so I'm not sure everything will work the same way;

                        If you click on the script and it returns the code, you can select all and copy > Paste it into a simple text editor (not a word processor!) then save it under the Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Google Sketchup 6/SketchUp/Plugins folder with the exact name it has on the site.

                        You can (on PC) also just right click on the link and save it to the same place but with rb extension.

                        Gai...

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • GaieusG
                          Gaieus
                          last edited by

                          For the easy spirals, download the drawhelix.rb as well (it also has several versions).

                          Gai...

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • B
                            bbwolf
                            last edited by

                            okay I managed to get k_tools_50.rb to run in my SU

                            just read yer answers - found it before 😎 <

                            Now, how do I get the spiral done, please? If I´d known math I wouldn´t
                            have become a designer in the first place.

                            See attached pic for what this stupid muppet sees and tell what to do, please


                            Bild 2.png

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • B
                              bbwolf
                              last edited by

                              whelp

                              I´ll do that right now. Keep ya posted on the process.

                              Thanks so much

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • B
                                bbwolf
                                last edited by

                                😍

                                It works! Saved by Gaieus! Thangk yew. Thangk yew verry mudch. 😎

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • GaieusG
                                  Gaieus
                                  last edited by

                                  No, these are just the first steps in discovering the wonderful and exciting world of pluins! 😉

                                  Gai...

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • B
                                    bbwolf
                                    last edited by

                                    you are 100% totally right. I just discoverd that one solution just leads one to the next problem/challenge. Should I continue my quest for help and knowledge in this thread or open up a new one?

                                    Here´s the "handdrawn" sketch of what I want to/have to create today.

                                    I now got the spiral thing down, but how to get the thing to extrude the
                                    way I want it?


                                    081105_AFA_04.jpg

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • GaieusG
                                      Gaieus
                                      last edited by

                                      OK, before we proceed, download skin22.zip as well and unzip its content to the same folder.


                                      Edit: I will split this part of the topic off the original one.

                                      Gai...

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • B
                                        bbwolf
                                        last edited by

                                        I´ll go looking for the .zip

                                        I allready started a new thread.

                                        404 Not Found

                                        favicon

                                        (www.sketchucation.com)

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • B
                                          bbwolf
                                          last edited by

                                          Okay. I got the skin22.zip and put it in the plugin folder.

                                          Now what? 🤓

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          • 1
                                          • 2
                                          • 1 / 2
                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          Buy SketchPlus
                                          Buy SUbD
                                          Buy WrapR
                                          Buy eBook
                                          Buy Modelur
                                          Buy Vertex Tools
                                          Buy SketchCuisine
                                          Buy FormFonts

                                          Advertisement