sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    โš ๏ธ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Windmills

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Gallery
    24 Posts 13 Posters 5.0k Views 13 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • D
      davidh
      last edited by

      Thanks Mike,

      Nearly everything I upload is purely a test,a version of how I would want to light a particular subject,sometimes they work,other times they don't.

      For every image I upload I would have at least a half dozen that just don't work.
      One of these days I will upload an image I am really happy with and once that happens,
      thats it! I'm done!

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • T
        tomislavm
        last edited by

        Nice!
        And change the rotation !

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • KrisidiousK
          Krisidious
          last edited by

          Fantastic...

          By: Kristoff Rand
          Home DesignerUnique House Plans

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • D
            davidh
            last edited by

            2 more images,the first is a version of the original older windmills set just before an upcoming storm.
            The storm clouds are based on an image I downloaded from the net but darkened considerably on the right and used the dodge tool in photoshop to increase the brightness on the extreme left to add to the ominous mood,and pick up some highlights on the buildings themselves.
            The second is a more american style wind generator.The building is one I have uploaded in multiple images previously.


            Windmill at storm.jpg


            Across country SUNSET 1.jpg

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • BoxB
              Box
              last edited by

              Great images but I think you are doing yourself a disservice by keeping the sails vertical.

              The language of sails is quite complex and what yours are saying is they are talking a short break but they are busy milling. You would almost never have multiple windmills saying that at the same time.

              The diagonal cross position is the default for we have stopped milling. The one o'clock position is generally used to announce good news, a birth or a festival or some such and the 11 o'clock position is used to announce a death. You'll often find all the windmills in a region set in mourning for a funeral. There are many other coded positions, often used in combination with flags and other visual clues, that were used to spread news quickly around the area.

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • DanielD
                Daniel
                last edited by

                Looks like a nice day for jousting...
                Beautiful images, as always, Davidh

                My avatar is an anachronism.

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • Bryan KB
                  Bryan K
                  last edited by

                  ๐Ÿ˜ฎ Wow. Incredible images.

                  See my portfolio at https://delphiscousin.blogspot.com/

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • pbacotP
                    pbacot
                    last edited by

                    Great images.Light and sky especially.

                    RE the windmills, I guessed that multiple mills in a flat area meant they were pumping water out of tidal lands, not milling. Or do grain mills tend to congregate in the wastelands? I don't think we had them much in the US, did we? Water-driven mills were used.

                    MacOSX MojaveSketchUp Pro v19 Twilight v2 Thea v3 PowerCADD

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • artysmediaA
                      artysmedia
                      last edited by

                      I like the third image. It looks like the planet Tatooine from Star Wars ๐Ÿ˜†

                      Working with: Win7 64 bit OS - Core i5 - 2,27GHz and 8GB RAM

                      Blog: Artysmedia

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • D
                        davidh
                        last edited by

                        That iconic image from star wars was actually one of my references when doing the third image,particularly the sky colour and low orange sun -
                        here's a slightly different version!


                        Windmills Across country tatooine.jpg

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • cottyC
                          cotty
                          last edited by

                          @davidh said:

                          ...here's a slightly different version!

                          here too... (I hope it does not matter to you.) ๐Ÿ˜‰
                          (find the differences)


                          windmill2.jpg

                          my SketchUp gallery

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • D
                            davidh
                            last edited by

                            One thing I would say about your version is that the birds are way too much prominent in the image.
                            If they were as close to the camera as your image would suggest,they wouldnt be as dark or lacking detail.

                            The whole idea of my original image is that the landscape and sky reflected no movement - a snapshot of stillness.

                            I would also say that if you want to add movement in an image and want to add birds, - think about them as part of your idea rather just sticking some entourage in.
                            Give everything you add-in-post the same respect you give to your render.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • olisheaO
                              olishea
                              last edited by

                              I think the crosses may be symbolic perhaps? Works for me.

                              oli

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • Bryan KB
                                Bryan K
                                last edited by

                                Oops. Double post.

                                See my portfolio at https://delphiscousin.blogspot.com/

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • tinanneT
                                  tinanne
                                  last edited by

                                  @olishea said:

                                  I think the crosses may be symbolic perhaps? Works for me.
                                  ๐Ÿ‘

                                  Executive Director : American Society of Architectural Illustrators
                                  AIP 30 Competition opens soon. ASAI.org

                                  Architectural Rendering

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • majidM
                                    majid
                                    last edited by

                                    Wow David
                                    I always like the way you do the job and wishing try something like this,
                                    here is an attempt
                                    ready model 3DWH, Thea, Photoshop


                                    detail


                                    windmill2.jpg


                                    balanced

                                    My inspiring A, B, Sketches book: https://sketchucation.com/shop/books/intermediate/2612-alphabet-inspired-sketches--inspiring-drills-for-architects--3d-artists-and-designers-

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • D
                                      davidh
                                      last edited by

                                      Majid,
                                      These are excellent,I particularly like the long landscape with the context of the surrounding area.

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • majidM
                                        majid
                                        last edited by

                                        Thank you David
                                        I always love your works, point of view, and post productions. Thank you for all your posts
                                        Best

                                        My inspiring A, B, Sketches book: https://sketchucation.com/shop/books/intermediate/2612-alphabet-inspired-sketches--inspiring-drills-for-architects--3d-artists-and-designers-

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • olisheaO
                                          olishea
                                          last edited by

                                          wow majid, pure poetry! amazing work, david should be flattered that he inspired such works. Love seeing this sort of art. ๐Ÿ‘

                                          oli

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0
                                          • majidM
                                            majid
                                            last edited by

                                            Yeah dear Oli, david's jobs are always inspiring to me , but am lazy to do.
                                            here is another more artistic version and in other different scene and atmosphere and moode


                                            fotosketcher version


                                            new mood


                                            new


                                            original scene

                                            My inspiring A, B, Sketches book: https://sketchucation.com/shop/books/intermediate/2612-alphabet-inspired-sketches--inspiring-drills-for-architects--3d-artists-and-designers-

                                            1 Reply Last reply
                                            Reply Quote 0

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better ๐Ÿ’—

                                            Register Login
                                            • 1
                                            • 2
                                            • 2 / 2
                                            • First post
                                              Last post
                                            Buy SketchPlus
                                            Buy SUbD
                                            Buy WrapR
                                            Buy eBook
                                            Buy Modelur
                                            Buy Vertex Tools
                                            Buy SketchCuisine
                                            Buy FormFonts

                                            Advertisement