sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    3D Print Monsters

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Gallery
    21 Posts 12 Posters 2.5k Views 12 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • boofredlayB
      boofredlay
      last edited by

      Thanks Alan.

      I just got home and remembered I had the original sketch Stefan gave me to make the nicely dressed monster. He wanted a little less surprise for the final. Plus the inky hair had to be reduced and thickened or they would break easily.

      And again, all characters are Β© Stefan G. Bucher. All rights reserved.


      MonsterClothedSketch.jpg

      http://www.coroflot.com/boofredlay

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • cottyC
        cotty
        last edited by

        Nice!
        I assume you printed only a shell (how do created it with which wall thickness)? How much was it in this size and colored?

        my SketchUp gallery

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • boofredlayB
          boofredlay
          last edited by

          I did not ask the price. Stefan ordered a bunch and is sending me one. I do know that iMaterialise ran it through their program and figured out how much to hollow the model. You can see some of that in the feet.

          http://www.coroflot.com/boofredlay

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • D
            d12dozr
            last edited by

            That's pretty sweet, Eric!

            Did you use textures or just SU colors?

            3D Printing with SketchUp Book
            http://goo.gl/f7ooYh

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • david_hD
              david_h
              last edited by

              Eric. .. those are wonderful. Very nicely done. And don't worry. . .my pants are faceted too.

              Happens a lot actually . . .

              If I make it look easy...It is probably easy

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • boofredlayB
                boofredlay
                last edited by

                Just SU Colors Marcus. The top image was rendered with Twilight while the finely dressed monster is straight SU output.

                http://www.coroflot.com/boofredlay

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • Bryan KB
                  Bryan K
                  last edited by

                  Those turned out quite nice!

                  See my portfolio at https://delphiscousin.blogspot.com/

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • D
                    d12dozr
                    last edited by

                    Thanks Eric.

                    With their help hollowing your model, it seems that iMaterialise helps customers with their models much more than Shapeways, whom I usually use. Good to know if I have a troublesome model.

                    3D Printing with SketchUp Book
                    http://goo.gl/f7ooYh

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • iichiversiiI
                      iichiversii
                      last edited by

                      That's fantastic Eric, character modelling in sketchup was an obsession of mine, well done

                      Bring on the Rain...

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • ken28875K
                        ken28875
                        last edited by

                        Awesome, Eric! πŸ‘ loving it.

                        I look forward to seeing more.

                        _KN

                        Follow Your Dreams.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • boofredlayB
                          boofredlay
                          last edited by

                          Thanks a bunch guys. πŸ˜„

                          http://www.coroflot.com/boofredlay

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • soloS
                            solo
                            last edited by

                            Excellent stuff Eric, glad to see you posting again also.

                            I have been itching to 3D print some of my now over 300 cartoon characters, waiting to either win one or one fall off a truck as I'll never afford one (wife says if it ain't gonna make money I don't need it)

                            http://www.solos-art.com

                            If you see a toilet in your dreams do not use it.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • D
                              d12dozr
                              last edited by

                              Pete, you could use a print service like Shapeways or iMaterialise... Cheaper than buying a printer, plus there is a huge range of materials. One little 3-4" model will run ~$20-30.

                              The home printers are pretty much a pain anyways, trying to get a decent print can take more time than modeling it and you only get one (or sometimes 2) colors. A professional color printer like the one use to print Eric's model (Stefan's design) above runs about $50K.

                              3D Printing with SketchUp Book
                              http://goo.gl/f7ooYh

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • boofredlayB
                                boofredlay
                                last edited by

                                Thanks Pete.
                                One of our members sent me a 3D print of my dunny. Here is the blue version he kept, I had him print me white.
                                Dunny-BLUE.jpg

                                Now if I could just get a metal print of my dunny 84 I would be fulfilled πŸ˜„

                                http://www.thearender.com/forum/download/file.php?id=6841

                                http://www.coroflot.com/boofredlay

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • StinkieS
                                  Stinkie
                                  last edited by

                                  Good stuff, Eric. πŸ‘

                                  @solo said:

                                  wife says if it ain't gonna make money I don't need it

                                  πŸ˜†

                                  She's got a point.

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • boofredlayB
                                    boofredlay
                                    last edited by

                                    Look who showed up on my doorstep this afternoon. 😍

                                    Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

                                    favicon

                                    (boofredlay.blogspot.com)

                                    http://www.coroflot.com/boofredlay

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0

                                    Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                    Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                    With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                                    Register Login
                                    • 1
                                    • 2
                                    • 1 / 2
                                    • First post
                                      Last post
                                    Buy SketchPlus
                                    Buy SUbD
                                    Buy WrapR
                                    Buy eBook
                                    Buy Modelur
                                    Buy Vertex Tools
                                    Buy SketchCuisine
                                    Buy FormFonts

                                    Advertisement