sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Flagstone Patio & Landscaping (Real Project)

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Gallery
    22 Posts 16 Posters 4.5k Views 16 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • EarthMoverE
      EarthMover
      last edited by

      Ah yes, I see the floating chairs now. It would be nice if Lumion had a merge function to add a scene in pieces. It's quite difficult to get things lined up with no snapping or numerical adjustments. Good eye though and thanks for pointing it out.

      3D Artist at Clearstory 3D Imaging
      Guide Tool at Winning With Sketchup
      Content Creator at Skapeup

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • soloS
        solo
        last edited by

        Brilliant mate!

        Lots of vegetation 😲 SU never buckled...wow!

        I really like the Lumion output, not too crazy about the Dynascape vegetation however it's just not realistic enough.

        http://www.solos-art.com

        If you see a toilet in your dreams do not use it.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • GaieusG
          Gaieus
          last edited by

          @earthmover said:

          ...It would be nice if Lumion had a merge function to add a scene in pieces...

          Well, you can do it manually... However certainly it would be nice to have a built-in feature to speed up the process.

          @solo said:

          ...not too crazy about the Dynascape vegetation however it's just not realistic enough...

          Also true. But some of the Lumion vegetation is just 2D (some of the flowers and such) and not really good for top views.

          Nice work, Adam! πŸ‘

          Gai...

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • jolranJ
            jolran
            last edited by

            Beauty! πŸ‘

            I think one can push Sketchup pretty good as far as geometry goes. It's not Z-brush, but what the heck.

            Nice modeling!

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • pbacotP
              pbacot
              last edited by

              I have a criticism. Just when I think I have made a decent presentation, people like you raise the bar! Sun sparkling on the fountain! Nicey-nice piano music! What the hell's next? (Plan's beautiful too).

              Congratulations πŸ‘Š

              MacOSX MojaveSketchUp Pro v19 Twilight v2 Thea v3 PowerCADD

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • JpacJ
                Jpac
                last edited by

                Very nice work!! I like the details (material choices, ledge height, and enclosure). I would love to see photos of how it turns out!
                John

                http://sketchup4sitedesign.wordpress.com/

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • EarthMoverE
                  EarthMover
                  last edited by

                  Sorry, got busy and missed a lot of comments. Thanks to everyone.

                  I did use a bit of layer management to handle the large scene. The dynascape collection uses a ton of component instances, so it helps when in sketchup. The poly count of the scene in Sketchup was around 550K. However I was unable to get the scene to open in 3ds Max. How ironic is that! The reason being is that Max triangulates everything, which ballooned the scene by six times the size in Sketchup. The .dae export to get it into Lumion took separating the model into 4 pieces and then re-assembling. It was a learning experience. Next time I'll most likely just import one plant at a time and then copy and place in whatever external program I'm using. Once in Lumion though, there was absolutely no slow down in frame rate and rendering went smoothly.

                  Pete, I agree with the realism of the plants. However, I've found that they are pretty well organized and it's really easy to swap out leaves for foreground plants. Only takes a few minutes. I know that the Dynascape team set a file size budget for most of their plants. They had to sacrifice somewhere....usually with texturing. Really it's no different than Onyx plants, which are great, but usually need retextured for them to look realistic.

                  3D Artist at Clearstory 3D Imaging
                  Guide Tool at Winning With Sketchup
                  Content Creator at Skapeup

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • N
                    nomeradona
                    last edited by

                    excellent work adam. love the landscape design

                    visit my blog: http://www.nomeradona.blogspot.com

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • D
                      dav21
                      last edited by

                      just awesssssssssssssome πŸ˜„ πŸ‘

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • B
                        Ben Ritter
                        last edited by

                        Very, very nice. I especially like the approaches to the waterfall, but would have been nicer to slow the speed down to capture it all. Thanks for sharing.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • EarthMoverE
                          EarthMover
                          last edited by

                          Thanks Ben, Nomer and Dave. I agree on the animation speed. It was more a less just a test for myself that never went to the client. I was really just testing out Sketch3D plants. I may do a more serious one as portfolio piece down the road.

                          The waterfall and spa were existing on site. I was able to take a photo of the waterfall, mask it out and then import it into Sketchup as an image. For the rocks I essentially just traced around each stone in the image with the Freehand tool and push pulled them to varying thicknesses. Then I subdivided each stone with Artisan and projected the site photo onto them, using a corresponding normal map in the render engine. It caused stretching in the top view, but from the patio level vantage points, it looked a lot like the real thing. I used TIG's drape Cpoints and Triangulate points to make the waterfall itself, adding some thickness with ThomThom's Shell plugin. I also used the Hatch Faces plugin by jolran to quadrify the spa water plane and then sculpted it a little with Artisan to bend the reflection on the surface.

                          3D Artist at Clearstory 3D Imaging
                          Guide Tool at Winning With Sketchup
                          Content Creator at Skapeup

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • Gus RG
                            Gus R
                            last edited by

                            Nice work EarthMover. πŸ‘ πŸ‘

                            www.instagram.com/gusrobatto/

                            www.facebook.com/gusrobatto

                            www.flickr.com/photos/gusrobatto

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • troyhomeT
                              troyhome
                              last edited by

                              Wow! this is some of your best work!! Really shows off the various products you used too- they should pay you to promote their products πŸ˜„

                              IOviz.com
                              SU Pro 2024 PC

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • EarthMoverE
                                EarthMover
                                last edited by

                                Thanks Gus.

                                Troy, wouldn't that be great! But then again what fun is an artist who isn't starvin'! πŸ˜„

                                3D Artist at Clearstory 3D Imaging
                                Guide Tool at Winning With Sketchup
                                Content Creator at Skapeup

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • daleD
                                  dale
                                  last edited by

                                  This is great to see, I hope you post right through to completion πŸ‘

                                  Just monkeying around....like Monsanto

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • Mike LuceyM
                                    Mike Lucey
                                    last edited by

                                    @dale said:

                                    This is great to see, I hope you post right through to completion πŸ‘

                                    I second that. To tell you the truth I enjoy viewing real on-the-ground projects much more than renders or movie animations.

                                    Support us so we can support you! Upgrade to Premium Membership!

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0

                                    Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                    Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                    With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                                    Register Login
                                    • 1
                                    • 2
                                    • 1 / 2
                                    • First post
                                      Last post
                                    Buy SketchPlus
                                    Buy SUbD
                                    Buy WrapR
                                    Buy eBook
                                    Buy Modelur
                                    Buy Vertex Tools
                                    Buy SketchCuisine
                                    Buy FormFonts

                                    Advertisement