sketchucation logo sketchucation
    • Login
    Oops, your profile's looking a bit empty! To help us tailor your experience, please fill in key details like your SketchUp version, skill level, operating system, and more. Update and save your info on your profile page today!
    ⚠️ Update | Sketchucation Tools 5.0.8 released with licensing improvements and bugfixes Download

    Lych Gates...

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Gallery
    25 Posts 18 Posters 3.4k Views 18 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • pilouP
      pilou
      last edited by

      Moss-covered! 😎

      Frenchy Pilou
      Is beautiful that please without concept!
      My Little site :)

      1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • tademaT
        tadema
        last edited by

        Thanks folks. Dale I send them off to be printed, into a folder, then into the draw. Dave I knew you would find Lych gates interesting, they all seem to follow a similar theme but are all individual.
        PS. save the image and zoom in!!
        John

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • B
          bjornkn
          last edited by

          Interesting (and noce job!)
          I had to look it up too 😉
          Lych = corpse, and in Norwegian corpse = lik (pronounced 'leek')
          Can't say I have heard a Norwegian term for such a Lych gate though - and neither have Google Translate..

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • tademaT
            tadema
            last edited by

            A little morbid, found this on Wiki...

            The word lych survived into modern English from the Old English or Saxon word for corpse, mostly as an adjective in particular phrases or names, such as lych bell, the hand-bell rung before a corpse; lych way, the path along which a corpse was carried to burial (this in some districts was supposed to establish a right-of-way); lych owl, the screech owl, because its cry was a portent of death; and lyke-wake, a night watch over a corpse (see Lyke-Wake Dirge).

            In the Middle Ages when most people were buried in just shrouds rather than coffins, the dead were carried to the lych gate and placed on a bier, where the priest conducted the first part of the funeral service under its temporary shelter

            John

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • KrisidiousK
              Krisidious
              last edited by

              very impressive... 👍

              By: Kristoff Rand
              Home DesignerUnique House Plans

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • K
                KarinaGM
                last edited by

                once again
                great work on that gate tadema.
                Do you create textures for every work you do or do you have a folder with basic textures which you then layer with dirt (or moss) in photoshop?

                I wish I could sit on the chair next to yours while you work in one of your images...

                **"Aquel que sacrifica un poco de libertad por seguridad, no se merece ninguna y terminará perdiendo ambas"

                -Benjamín Franklin.**

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • leedeeteeL
                  leedeetee
                  last edited by

                  Mods, please can you stop John posting photographs up and claiming them for his own 'renders'. I find this very unfair on the rest of us.

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • Alan FraserA
                    Alan Fraser
                    last edited by

                    Beautiful work...as always, John. The texturing is a marvel to behold.
                    I'm surprised that so many people haven't heard the term before, but I suppose they're so ubiquitous in England that we just take them for granted and think everyone else has them too.
                    Here's a link to a wide collection of them....never seen two the same. There's some nice textures to be extracted from the larger versions of some of the pics.

                    3D Figures
                    Were you required to walk 500 miles? Were you advised to walk 500 more?
                    You could be entitled to compensation. Call the Pro Claimers now!

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • B
                      bjornkn
                      last edited by

                      Nice link to lych gates. Thanks 😄
                      Interesting topic.
                      We do have them in Norway too, but I wasn't aware of their function in the past, and afaik we don't use such a specific name for it.
                      Here's a nice, old one:
                      http://norske-kirkebygg.origo.no/-/bulletin/show/238188_ringebu-stavkirke#

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • Bryan KB
                        Bryan K
                        last edited by

                        Both styles are fantastic.

                        Good to hear you putting together a portfolio for show! You absolutely should!

                        See my portfolio at https://delphiscousin.blogspot.com/

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • jarynzlesaJ
                          jarynzlesa
                          last edited by

                          @leedeetee said:

                          Mods, please can you stop John posting photographs up and claiming them for his own 'renders'. I find this very unfair on the rest of us.

                          yes please stop it. pictures saved. super work 👍 .

                          http://www.vizualizaceschodiste.mypage.cz/

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • TIGT
                            TIG Moderator
                            last edited by

                            Wonderful model and render - you just get better and better...

                            @bjornkn - as an aside... there are many wonderful 'stave' churches in Norway. When I was visiting some of them a few years ago I was struck by how many of the locals who were buried in the churchyard shared the same name - 'Fred' - which seemed to be engraved on most tombstones... however, I soon realized that it's used in the sense of 'RIP' on British gravestones - 'Rest In Peace' - as 'Fred' is of course 'Peace' in Norwegian but 'Fred' is a first-name in English... 😒

                            TIG

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • daleD
                              dale
                              last edited by

                              @tadema said:

                              PS. save the image and zoom in!!
                              John

                              🤣 Good humour! (Although I expected a frog)

                              Just monkeying around....like Monsanto

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0
                              • S
                                SketchUpNoobie
                                last edited by

                                @dale said:

                                @tadema said:

                                PS. save the image and zoom in!!
                                John

                                🤣 Good humour! (Although I expected a frog)

                                I can't read it. 😐 It gets pixelated when I zoom in far enough to read it. 😒

                                --

                                SketchUpNoobie: the complete noob in all things SketchUp.

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Reply Quote 0
                                • B
                                  bjornkn
                                  last edited by

                                  @TIG: Yes, the stave churches are great ! I had the pleasure of modeling one of them, including animated construction process, almost 10 years ago - for online art history education at the University of Bergen 😄 Pre-SU, but nice job..
                                  And yes, Fred is indeed common on tombstones, or 'Hvil i fred' (Rest in peace), but we do have some Freds here too, as well as Fredrik and Freddy 😉

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Reply Quote 0
                                  • Alan FraserA
                                    Alan Fraser
                                    last edited by

                                    Just spotted the epitaph. 😄

                                    My favourite one is:

                                    Here lie the bones of Elizabeth Charlotte
                                    Born a virgin, died a harlot
                                    She was aye (still) a virgin at seventeen
                                    A remarkable thing in Aberdeen.

                                    3D Figures
                                    Were you required to walk 500 miles? Were you advised to walk 500 more?
                                    You could be entitled to compensation. Call the Pro Claimers now!

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Reply Quote 0
                                    • tademaT
                                      tadema
                                      last edited by

                                      Thank you all for the comments.
                                      Lee, lol, posting pics sounds good but just think of all the fun modelling we would miss out on.
                                      Alan, the Lych gates only seem to be on villages churches around here, maybe because the town churches are newer? I like that epitaph.
                                      Bryan, I've no portfolio, these are all just for fun. Maybe I could look into setting up a web page, but it's beyond my abilities at the moment.
                                      John, you should be able to zoom in if you save the image, I tried and it was viewable even at 1600px.
                                      take care
                                      John

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Reply Quote 0
                                      • T
                                        TLD
                                        last edited by

                                        @leedeetee said:

                                        Mods, please can you stop John posting photographs up and claiming them for his own 'renders'. I find this very unfair on the rest of us.

                                        YEAH...your rendering skills are off the hook...totally unfair 😮 😒

                                        You should give tutorials...

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Reply Quote 0
                                        • A
                                          Andrija Posarić
                                          last edited by

                                          Hey, dude 😄 This is amazing, i scrolled through your posts, you have some really great models and renderings, i like the surreal style that you are pursuing. I am not browsing this forums as often I used to, but maaan, this is inspiring 😄

                                          Cheers and keep em comming and don't forget to have fun whille modeling 😉

                                          Cheers, Andrija

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Reply Quote 0

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          • 1
                                          • 2
                                          • 2 / 2
                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          Buy SketchPlus
                                          Buy SUbD
                                          Buy WrapR
                                          Buy eBook
                                          Buy Modelur
                                          Buy Vertex Tools
                                          Buy SketchCuisine
                                          Buy FormFonts

                                          Advertisement